Dakota Durango Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know where I can find a grill for my 2000 Dakota that looks like the ones on the new Rams? They look like tubes. Thanks for any help!

-Cody-

·
Registered
651 Posts
IS this what you mean?

The one on the Ram is a billet aluminum-look grill that is actually made of plastic, but I think that's what you're generally referring to. IF that's what you mean, you have several options by a variety of manufacturers. The one on mine in that pic is a Carriage Works billet aluminum grill and matching bumper insert. The upper grill is full replacement, meaning the old one had to be cut out completely, as opposed to bolting some inserts on over it using zip-ties or brackets. I tried the bolt-over route with a Stull unit, but the truck accessory shop showed me that the fit was so horrible it never would have looked right or stayed as secure as it should have. So they ordered me the Carriage Works full replacement one for the same price. It cost me about 380 installed, which is probably too much. But I get impatient and tend not to shop around like I should. You can get the upper one for about 100 bucks on ebay and the lower grill for maybe 70-80 dollars, but I just don't like buying anything more than 20-30 bucks on ebay. From my shop without install the upper was about 179, the lower maybe 80 bucks or so. Install came to 120 mainly because cutting out the old one takes time.

Some manufacturers of these types of grills include Putco, Stull, and Grillcraft, just to name a few. You can find them on ebay, or at any number of truck accessory sites or local shops. I don't know that Mopar offers one for the Dakota but they're easy to find elsewhere. It's a good idea to get the bumper insert along with it. It just looks better with the two matching pieces. Also, the bumper insert closes up that big gaping opening in the bumper and provides needed protection to the radiator from road debris while still allowing air flow.

One suggested do-it-yourself technique is to take those chrome colored plastic door strips and slide them over your stock grill slats for the same effect. Only thing is, over time the adhesive on those things weakens and allows them to peel off and the chrome coloring flakes off and makes it look ugly. But be aware that it is an option some have tried, just not one I'm very fond of. It all depends on the budget. If you got basic install skills and are into the ebay thing, you can probably have the whole setup for well under 200 bucks. On ebay, putting 'Dodge Dakota grill' in the search box should get you what you're looking for.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the quick reply! That is exactly what I was looking for! :biggthump
Now I just need to find a few sites that have it and get the cheapest one. Anyone know of a site or to? Thanks again!

-Cody-

·
Registered
145 Posts
try looking on this site - "Parts Information"

1 - 4 of 4 Posts