Dakota Durango Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It seems my a/c compressor has froze and won't spin freely when belt was remove. For the time being I wanted to bypass it. The belt (dayco 5070885) that I got from advanced auto is suppose to be the right one, but for some reason it won't go on. It appears to be too small, even with the tensioner all the way over it still won't go on. Does anyone have any suggestion? Am I missing something? I don't have much skin left on my knuckles!! :huh: Someone please help

·
Registered
3,784 Posts
replace the pulley on the A/C or get one from the dealer. I had the same problem, went through like 6 different belts and still couldn't get it fixed correctly. if the compressor itself is frozen it's about a $600 to $700 repair, if it's just the pulley is sized and the compressor is fine, it's about a $250.00 repair.

·
Don't be "That Guy"
7,400 Posts
try belt number 5070890 or 5070895 or...

the last 3 numbers is the length. heres the belt part number decoded...

50--I have no fucking idea what this means.
70--it's a 7 rib belt.
885--it's 88.5" long.

try one that's 90, 90.5, etc. until you find one that fits.

tell the guy at the parts counter that you're trying to by-pass your AC, so you don't know what part number you want, but you know you want a belt around 89 inches long, and ask him if you can go back to look at the belts to find one that will fit.

if they don't have one in a 7 rib that's exactly what you want, it's ok to drop down to a 6 rib belt. (5060890, etc.)

·
Don't be "That Guy"
7,400 Posts
Thanks...... after two trips I finally got it right. 90" did the trick.(I hope) Who needs a/c in Florida anyways. Boo a/c!!!!! Hooray by-pass!!!!!:mullet:
Just think, now you can turn your AC on, get a bump in timing to compensate for the "additional drag" caused by the compressor...but since the compressor really isn't on...that additional timing can help make a few extra ponies:mullet:

(or so I've heard that the PCM bumps timing a few degrees when the compressor kicks on)

·
Registered
10 Posts
So what can be done?
Reading above it appears it's been done before. I tried the 90" belt listed above and it was way too long. It would seem like I need to be about 76" long but they had nothing in stock. A real pain when I'm trying to do this in their parking lot with VERY limited tools. Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

18,185 Posts
It seem to me that if you can just find the right length belt it would work just fine to route the same way but eliminate routing the belt over the compressor. Just so you know what I'm working on, it's a 2000 Durango 4.7L.
First off, I didn't realize you had a 4.7... so IDK for sure that my first post was accurate. But in either case, you just have to find the right length belt and route in normally.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I was able to find a belt the right length to bypass the compressor but the only problem is that the belt touches itself at the point just to the left of the tensioner and above the idler pulley.

I'd be real curious to know how the original poster of this thread got his to work (maybe he doesn't have a 4.7).

Shy of replacing the compressor, any suggestions?

Is there any chance I could remove the idler pulley?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts