Dakota Durango Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
No Dak, but a Dodge!
1,281 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright, I am pretty sure I did not just see things, but since coming across this website, I have been looking at alot of performance parts, I am 99% positive I found a kit that gives you true duals...I am assuming a h-pipe or x-pipe, but can't find it anymore...anyone know who makes it and/or where I can find it? Thanks

·
No Dak, but a Dodge!
1,281 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Not really worried about that, not like I have a high powered machine, and anyways, it can't be all that much

·
Premium Member
9,131 Posts
I'm going to get the Spintech Cat-back side exhaust system when my B-day rolls around. Have you looked at the catback system

·
Registered
73 Posts
98 Black SLT said:
Are you aware of the low end power loss that you incure with this exhaust?

Not trying to start anything but do you have any PROOF as in dyno sheets before and after installing the GS Motorsports true duals that one loses low end torque, so called "BUTT DYNOS" do not apply ?? I am intersted in this exhaust system too. Thanks for any info.

·
Registered
402 Posts
JDELUNA said:
Not trying to start anything but do you have any PROOF as in dyno sheets before and after installing the GS Motorsports true duals that one loses low end torque, so called "BUTT DYNOS" do not apply ?? I am intersted in this exhaust system too. Thanks for any info.
I do not have any proof myself, that is just what i was advised of back when i was contemplating that system. You could prolly run a search and find out for sure. Make sure to look at peoples experience and not just the companies information.

·
Registered
73 Posts
98 Black SLT said:
I do not have any proof myself, that is just what i was advised of back when i was contemplating that system. You could prolly run a search and find out for sure. Make sure to look at peoples experience and not just the companies information.

I understand what you are saying, and I too have always heard the saying that you would lose lowend torque, but I do remember reading and seeing dyno tests by HOTROD IIRC magazine back in the early 90's and they did an exhaust shootout. The one that made the most HP and TORQUE was an open exhaust system with just straight pipes, they too also thought they would lose lowend torque but actually gained. My experience has been the same too, on my 1998 Volvo S70 T5 which has a turbo engine, putting larger exhaust system with NO muffler and I dynoed before and after,m and I did gain HP and Torque, I did not lose any lowend torque but actually GAINED lowend torque, of course this is on a turbo car so it may be different, but other people too told me that I would lose the lowend torque.

·
Registered
402 Posts
JDELUNA said:
I understand what you are saying, and I too have always heard the saying that you would lose lowend torque, but I do remember reading and seeing dyno tests by HOTROD IIRC magazine back in the early 90's and they did an exhaust shootout. The one that made the most HP and TORQUE was an open exhaust system with just straight pipes, they too also thought they would lose lowend torque but actually gained. My experience has been the same too, on my 1998 Volvo S70 T5 which has a turbo engine, putting larger exhaust system with NO muffler and I dynoed before and after,m and I did gain HP and Torque, I did not lose any lowend torque but actually GAINED lowend torque, of course this is on a turbo car so it may be different, but other people too told me that I would lose the lowend torque.
But like you said, this was with a turbo which does not need hardly any back pressure. But the decision is up to you, but personally i would just go with a single exit flowmaster or something like that. You still get a good throaty sound without the risk of power loss.

B

·
0 Posts
True duals

This is sort of a continuation of my thread in the "engine modifications" section.
http://www.dakota-durango.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2241

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

OK guys, I finally took shipment of my GS true duals kit and had them installed ($200.00) today. There were quite a few problems from the get go so let me get to them:

1. Scott Q, although a very nice guy, had told me through various e-mails and phone calls that my system would be shipped anyday (one week after the original 05/28 ship date)and will provide me with a tracking number. That never happened so I called Spintech themselves and spoke to Lorin who was very helpful and professional and gave me an EXACT ship date. I received two packages; one on 06/21 and one on 06/22. No biggie, just keep me in the loop.

2. This is a big one to me: no packing list and no instructions. Without a packing list, how am I to know I have all the items required? Turns out, I was short two(2) 1 foot straight pipes leading into the X-pipe! This really bothered me because it's just plain business sense. It protects them AND me. Instructions, while not totally needed, just needs to be there plain and simple. My intake kit had only a few pieces and it came with 3 pages of instruction, an addendum and illustrations!

3. I have an '03 Durango and it looks like they never even bothered to check the o2 sensor locations for my year. Each pipe had two bung holes, two of which weren't needed at all because there are no sensors on the drivers side, and one was in the wrong place on the other side. So, plug up 3 bung holes and make one new. sigh.

4. Either the driver side cross-over pipe was bent wrong, or made too short. We had to add a 4" splice so that it would make it to the X-pipe. Although it did fit before that, we couldn't get a proper seal between the e.manifold and the pipe.

5. Like I said before, add 2 straight pipes before X-pipe. The muffler was about a foot short of its bracket before rear axle.

Other than that, PIECE OF CAKE! Bolt up on the driveway at home...my ass. Total installation time, about 3-4 hrs. at a pro muffler shop.

Seriously, if I'm spending $800.00 on a system that's touted as specially made for my Durango, I expect a few minor snaffoos, but nothing like this. The saving grace is that this system ROCKS! And I will get to that in my next post after I settle down a bit.

d. branco

B

·
0 Posts
Performance...GS Motorsports true duals

Just let me say that this system does as advertised. Butt dyno feels noticable increase of power throughout the range. There is NO LOSS OF LOW END TORQUE. In fact I got more than a little chirp from from my rear after punching it from a stop. And this is in a 4500 pound Durango.

But this kit really shines in the mid and upper ranges. It just kept pulling and the next thing I knew I'm doing over 100 mph. It's loud, but not so much that you're hating life in the cab. The sound pretty much goes away after 70 mph. As for tone, I was expecting more of deeper resonance but I think that has to do with more the size of the engine (4.7) than anything else. Being as it is I only have one other mod (intake), I think this system will only complement any other mods I plan on doing.

So all in all:

customer service> C
fabrication (not to be confused with quality)> D
quality of workmanship> B+
performance> A+

d. branco

·
No Dak, but a Dodge!
1,281 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Bronks-
Do you have a capability of making a video, with sound to send? Just curious to know what it sounds like. And did you get side exit or rear? Thanks

B

·
0 Posts
It could very well be, however, he is the lead in pushing the product for GS which makes him accountable for misshaps first. Then spintech. IMHO.

Just let me make it crystal clear that I'm not out to flame anyone, I just want to give an honest evaluation of the product and MY experience with it.

B

·
0 Posts
BadASSDakota500 said:
Bronks-
Do you have a capability of making a video, with sound to send? Just curious to know what it sounds like. And did you get side exit or rear? Thanks
No man, I'm sorry, I don't. I don't even own a camera, gotta buy those disposables everytime I need to take a pic. My daughter doesn't appreciate the fact that we don't have any of here cuteness on film. I told her to go outside and listen to the D instead.

I can't see anyone being remotely dissapointed with the sound. It has a very aggressive tone.

·
Premium Member
1,771 Posts
I understand where you're coming from. Scott is a very busy guy. He is the one who goes through every order that GSM recieves and mistakes are going to be made. Although mistakes seem to be happening a lot lately........ :huh: Maybe double checking the orders before packaging would help solve these little problems.

BTW, i accidentally edited your post bronks, clicked the edit button instead of the reply button. :hammer: I tried to put it back to the original msg.

·
Speed Freak
269 Posts
Hey Bronks. What muffler did you go with? and did you go with cats or not?
Also how loud would you say it is?

·
Registered
73 Posts
Bronks,

I really appreciate your feedback on the GSM Duals, as I am sure everyone else is too. Now that you have shared your experience with us, I would like and hope that Scott would respond to your feedback in what happened to the QA ??? I mean I am very interested in purchasing the system from him, but if I am going to have to spend XXX amount of more money just to make them fit and work on my vehicle, that would be a very big turn off for me and if I did have to spend more money to fix mistakes I would expect some kind of compensation from the company as it did not fit or work as advertised from the begining but had to made to fit. So Scott we are awaiting your response please. :D Also what mufflers did you go with the race or street ???

B

·
0 Posts
O2graphite--

I'm pretty sure I went with the quieter sportsman muffler, although I'm not 100% on this. I also thought I was getting the catback design as seen in one of the pictures on this website. No dice, both my cats, high-flow I'd imagine, are about 6 inches past the manifold/pipe connection on each side. The kit was made for the split rear exits (just like the picture), which turned out perfectly.

After driving around town today; I didn't set off any alarms, but did manage to turn a few heads. Interior wise, there is a noticeable drone between 1500 and 2000 RPM that is very intrusive. But I don't know, the D's shell could be magnifying the whole thing. But fom outside the truck, the thing is a monster and sounds like it means business. I'm very happy with it.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts