Dakota Durango Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking into putting a true dual system on my r/t next year and I was wondering if there were any systems out there besides spintechs? I'm looking at something that is complete stainless steel. Otherwise I'll just stick with the spintechs. Loved em on my 4.7 but the snow n salt ate them up pretty good. Suggestions?

·
We Are 138
13,200 Posts
You could probably have your local exhaust shop run a custom true dual set up for less than just buying a kit.. That's how it's always been in my experiences.

·
Texas, Pffffft
14,793 Posts
You could probably have your local exhaust shop run a custom true dual set up for less than just buying a kit.. That's how it's always been in my experiences.
He will be hard pressed to find an exhaust shop that'll fab him up a true dual setup. Technically, it's against the law. So finding an exhaust shop that I would trust is few and far between. Also, why reinvent the wheel. The spintech setup is proven and they are mandrel bent. Finding an exhaust shop that will do a true mandrel bent exhaust is next to impossible.

·
Registered
2,698 Posts
A "true" dual system would alter the cat configuration which is federally regulated. (With that said, many areas do not verify the OEM cat configuration.) Finding a shop to do it should not be a big deal. A race shop will do all sors of modifications which may not be "legal" or will know exhaust fabricators that will.

(My Mustang shop will do whatever)

·
Registered
158 Posts
So, the OEM cat configuration on a vehicle that has two cats right after the manifolds and one downstream is legal. What if a cat goes bad and you have to replace it, then you have altered the OEM configuration and you are in violation of the law. So your vehicle would be concidered a nonrepairable vehicle. Unless, the cat or cats in this case are C.A.R.B certified.
It can be recreated the exact same way with a true dual system and add a cat. If anything it is more efficient system and burns cleaner than a stock system. If you want to get real technical, anything you do to alter an OEM configuration would be illegal. But there are carb certs for some aftermarket parts. Some CAI and some headers but not all.
I ran a true dual system with 2 cats in it in my 93 dakota for 5 years. When I took it to have the emissions tested for the first time. The tech looked over the truck with a fine tooth comb and even climbed under it to make sure there were cats in place. He never said anything to me about the legality of the placement of the cats. He told me the concern was, Are there cats in place an egr or air pump if required equipment. I asked them to run the truck through the full test not a quick test so I could compare it to the last time it was in and it had better numbers than the stock system. I added nothing to the fuel or any tuning to the PCM. The truck at that time was stock with the exception of the exhaust. I think it all depends on the person doing the test and how they feel that day.
When you buy the M-1 intake or the Mopar performance PCM it states (for offroad use only.) I would also bet the 1.7RR, the modified TB and the handheld tuners are a violation also. If it doesn't have a C.A.R.B cert. then it is not legal for highway use.
Now, as to a true dual mandrel bent exhaust he might find someone in Chicago that has a mandrel bender and can do it for him. My Durango is at the only exhaust shop in Colorado that does true mandrel bending having a true dual stainless system fabricated for it as I type this. I tell him what I want, he tells me what it cost and I say HOLY CRAP!!!! and then do it. If you want to spend some cash and have a custom exhaust for your truck go for it... I think I got it out of my system...LOL

·
Registered
3 Posts
Running true duals shouldnt be against the law to my knowledge as long as your are stilling running cats. A muffler shop can remove the existing catalytic converters as long as they replace them with the same one or a newer catalytic converter. As far as true duals shouldnt matter because plenty of vehicle now a days run true dual setup. Dodge runs a y pipe setup which is completely bs if you ask me.
As far as running true duals if you have cats and no CEL your good. When emmisions comes around all they do is plug the obd2 test to it and if it isnt throwing codes your good to go. and if your not running to loud you will never get pulled over for exhaust. The bs law with the catalytic converter altering is a bunch of bs i wouldnt throw any concern into that.

In my case im running true duals on my 2000 dodge durango 5.9 no cats and muffler. and no CEL. (trick to my making the light come on without the o2 fouler)

·
17,623 Posts
Actually Neil is correct. The factory exhaust on the Dakota's is a single exhaust off the main cat. To run true dual you would have to remove the factory main cat. Even if you put two more cats on it's still not technically legal because the truck was federally emissions certified with just a single main cat. If one of your stock cats goes bad you have to replace it with an approved replacement and it has to go back into the original location.

Now does that prevent most people from doing it? No, but a lot of exhaust shops will not mess with the stock cats because they can get huge fines and/or be shut down for doing it. but it isn't hard to find a shop willing to do it as long as you pay in cash.

As for where to find a stainless true dual kit, I think you could call Spintech and have them make you one of their kits in stainless steel, it will just cost a lot more.

·
Outlaws Phone Warden
12,864 Posts
Actually Neil is correct. The factory exhaust on the Dakota's is a single exhaust off the main cat. To run true dual you would have to remove the factory main cat. Even if you put two more cats on it's still not technically legal because the truck was federally emissions certified with just a single main cat. If one of your stock cats goes bad you have to replace it with an approved replacement and it has to go back into the original location.

Now does that prevent most people from doing it? No, but a lot of exhaust shops will not mess with the stock cats because they can get huge fines and/or be shut down for doing it. but it isn't hard to find a shop willing to do it as long as you pay in cash.

As for where to find a stainless true dual kit, I think you could call Spintech and have them make you one of their kits in stainless steel, it will just cost a lot more.
translation: Matt, cut the damn cat off and drive it to an exhaust shop.....

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
Tie the rear O2 to the frame and don't look back. The 5.9 likes to breathe lol.

·
Outlaws Phone Warden
12,864 Posts
Tie the rear O2 to the frame and don't look back. The 5.9 likes to breathe lol.
mine has been ziptied to the frame for almost a year now...funny part is i bought the o2 from matt...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts