Dakota Durango Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know what a 5.9L with dual straight pipes from the manifolds back sound like?
Any mufflers, glasspacks, etc that you reccomend? :help: :brick:

This exhaust system is going on a 1994 Dodge Ram 1500 Sport Regular Cab shortbox.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Stay awy from glasspacks, etc. If you want true duals with good sound go with 2.5" true duals. And use 3.5" tips, with either Flowmaster one chambers or Spintech Pro Streets. I had the flows on my 99 and should be dropping the truck off today or tomorrow for the Spintechs. Only use glasspacks if you want it to sounds like a 2 cyl under water.

·
Registered
5,099 Posts
It would be really loud. I don't think the the 5.9 sounds bad with a cat and no muffler.

·
Registered
2,201 Posts

·
Double Ought Dakota
649 Posts
i have a glassspack, and it sounds great especially when slowing down, when it pops, turns lots of heads. :mullet:

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
bneaves said:
Stay awy from glasspacks, etc. If you want true duals with good sound go with 2.5" true duals. And use 3.5" tips, with either Flowmaster one chambers or Spintech Pro Streets. I had the flows on my 99 and should be dropping the truck off today or tomorrow for the Spintechs. Only use glasspacks if you want it to sounds like a 2 cyl under water.
Glass packs ruled for many years and I don't think I've ever heard a real hemi or big block sound like "a 2 cyl under water." Aside from Cherry Bombs and Thrush, one of my favorite mufflers used to be the one for the Corvair Turbo. It was 2.5 in and 2.5 out.

·
Registered
30 Posts
You're right I never heard a Hemi or big block that sounded that way either. But he's talking about a relatively bone stock(since he listed no mods) Small block with OEM fuel injection, so with absolutely no back pressure and the fluting that is in the glasspacks this is how it will sound. I have heard it before.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts