Dakota Durango Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys I'm finally going to do it. I just need to know what I'm going to need.
Ok to start its a 96 and I'm sure I'm going to have alot of wires left over but I'll neaten them up and hide them somewhere till I get the carb set up done and running. I've been thinking about it for a long time and I think I'll be happy with a good carb set up.
So I know I'm going to need a intake and carb also a distributer.
If anyone has done this can you please leave part numbers and any info please.
I'm thinking about a demon 600-650 cfm carb
edlebrock air cap intake.
distributer not sure yet..
I'm starting this tomorrow so the most info I could get the better I'll post pics asap and keep you updated.
Thanks to all

·
Banned
1,029 Posts
I have been looking into this for my stroker, too.
It looks like you would need the MSD Ready To Run (part number 8388) distributor, the intake manifold, carb, and either a lower pressure fuel pump or an external fuel pressure regulator to set the pressure right.

I priced out the parts at around $1200 for everything.

·
Registered
386 Posts
I have researched it also as I will be using a carb on my 95 build. The intake is simple, just get a Edelbrock (or equal) intake for the Magnum motors. You can just use your carb of choice too. If you plan on getting rid of the computer completely, then you will need an external voltage regulator because the factory one is controlled by the computer. You can use any electronic dizzy that you would use on an older Mopar. I'm not sure how you would get around the fuel pump as the stock pump is controlled by the computer and would be way to much pressure for a carb. You could possibly get a pickup made for the tank and just run an external electric pump :huh:. I plan on running a fuel cell in mine, so I never really researched that part of it much.

There is a guy on this board that kept EFI, but used parts from a 5.0L Mustang to control the injectors using a MAF, which is a much better way of doing things than with a MAP sensor IMO. I believe he was still controlling timing with the dizzy and just used the computer to fire the injectors. I have also thought about doing this as it would be easier to tune if I decided to go blown or turbo than a carb would be.

·
Banned
1,029 Posts
I have researched it also as I will be using a carb on my 95 build. The intake is simple, just get a Edelbrock (or equal) intake for the Magnum motors. You can just use your carb of choice too. If you plan on getting rid of the computer completely, then you will need an external voltage regulator because the factory one is controlled by the computer. You can use any electronic dizzy that you would use on an older Mopar. I'm not sure how you would get around the fuel pump as the stock pump is controlled by the computer and would be way to much pressure for a carb. You could possibly get a pickup made for the tank and just run an external electric pump :huh:. I plan on running a fuel cell in mine, so I never really researched that part of it much.

There is a guy on this board that kept EFI, but used parts from a 5.0L Mustang to control the injectors using a MAF, which is a much better way of doing things than with a MAP sensor IMO. I believe he was still controlling timing with the dizzy and just used the computer to fire the injectors. I have also thought about doing this as it would be easier to tune if I decided to go blown or turbo than a carb would be.
I have been looking into this for my stroker, too.
It looks like you would need the MSD Ready To Run (part number 8388) distributor, the intake manifold, carb, and either a lower pressure fuel pump or an external fuel pressure regulator to set the pressure right.

I priced out the parts at around $1200 for everything.
That was what I had in mind for fuel and ignition. As far as the alternator goes, you're right. Either go with an external regulator or just leave the PCM connected otherwise. It won't have any control over the ignition and fuel anymore, so it will throw a code for something, but who cares.

·
Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

I'm just tired of all the issues with the comp. If i go with a carb set up then I'm all good for a cam and no more rev limiter and top speed crap.
You have pics of your 95 build up? Not really what I wanted to do but to me it seems alot easier.

·
Registered
2,884 Posts
you having a 96 you can use sct to tune your truck and not have to worry about any of those things.

·
Registered
2,884 Posts
talk to hemifever on here and see what he says about it im pretty sure he can tune it.

·
Registered
162 Posts
I did this swap a few years back and its pretty easy to do. The only thing is that your factory gauges will not work. I went with the pro products air gap intake and an ebay 650 dp. As far as the dist. is concerned I used an old school factory unit with a little tweaking and a msd digital 6 ignition.

·
Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I did this swap a few years back and its pretty easy to do. The only thing is that your factory gauges will not work. I went with the pro products air gap intake and an ebay 650 dp. As far as the dist. is concerned I used an old school factory unit with a little tweaking and a msd digital 6 ignition.
Thanks for the info I going to start soon..

·
Registered
386 Posts
You have pics of your 95 build up? Not really what I wanted to do but to me it seems alot easier.
I haven't got that far yet. I'm just trying to get the body work done and get it painted by spring. I will probably do the motor swap next year sometime. After some research, I just decided that is the way I am going when I get to that point. I just like to plan ahead.

·
Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I haven't got that far yet. I'm just trying to get the body work done and get it painted by spring. I will probably do the motor swap next year sometime. After some research, I just decided that is the way I am going when I get to that point. I just like to plan ahead.
Hi again, I'm at a point were I need to decide what I'm going to be happy with.
I almost sold it but can't seem to go all the way with the sale lol...
I think I'm going to find a 87 koda for parts and get all the wiring from it to put in mine. While I have the wiring all out I'm going to clean it up, the wiring harness and the install it into my 96. I'm going to use the total wiring harness front to back. I'm going to use the 87 steering coloum aswell. To me this seems like an easier and neat way to do this. I don't like hacking up wiring to risky for me.
I'm glad you got your mounts o.k and you like them. good luck to you with your build-up keep me posted with your progress and if you need anything.
I'm in the process of building the mount that bolts to the frame. it looks like a weak point to me.ttyl

·
Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I just picked up an 87 and its in great shape to bad I'm going to pick it apart.
oh well thats what I bought it for anyway. I do have a ???? why does it have a comp on the pass side fender is this needed for when I tranfer the wiring to my gen 2???? it looks pretty easy to do I'm starting this week-end I will need someone to post pics for me again..thanks

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
I converted my 94 to carb and chunked the PCM. Like stated above a few things have to be converted/changed.

1. The alt will not work. Go to a alt rebuild place and have them convert to a 1 wire with external regulator. I paid $100 to do this. Works like a champ.

2. Use and older style (non PCM) type distributer.

3. Find the factory tach wire and splice that into the distributer.

I am using the Fuel Injection type M1 and simply got some brass plugs and pluged up the injector holes and am using a Carb (950 hp). I would NOT advise getting a Demon carb. I have heard about too many problems tuning them.

I would use the Magnum motor/stuff you already have. It will all work fine.

·
Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I may just drop a 360 in the 87 I just picked up.. maybe will see..
and just leave the 96 alone. not sure yet. I will let you guys know.
thanks for the input.

·
Registered
1,868 Posts
1 - 20 of 24 Posts