Dakota Durango Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2004 Dakota extended cab that I have been looking for a black tonneau cover for quite some time. Since I haven't been able to find a nice used cover, I have decided to consider a cap as well. I have a chance to get a cap that was on a 1996 Dakota but I don't know enough about them to know if it will fit my truck. The guy offered to let me try it on my truck to see if it will fit but I don't really want to drive all the way out to the guy's house only to find it doesn't fit. Does anyone know if a cap from a 96 will also fit on an 04?

·
I hate you people.
2,787 Posts
Seriously doubt it, Dodge changed up the bed dimensions when they redesigned the Dakota in 97 and they did not change again until 2005, when the Gen IV's debuted.
Do you have a tape measure? A lot easier than having to jockey those bulky things around(with real glass, they are bitch, don't ask :censored: ).

·
Banned
63 Posts
Well, come to think of it, even though the inside of the beds are identical 97'-10' (not sure about pre 97') they might be a little different in dimensions up top.

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
The inside bed rail measurements for GenII and GenIII are identical. The only minor difference is the outside upper edge of the tailgate. A GenII tailgate outside edge is straight across, while the GenIII has a progressive bulge that is widest at the center.
My '01 uses the same Snugtop shell that I bought in 1993 for my '92 Dakota. The only mod for fit was to the bottom edge of the rear window frame with "duck-bill" pliers at a body shop to better follow the contour of the tailgate bulge. :banana2:
They're pretty rare, but GenII longbeds don't fit this scenario, however.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts