Dakota Durango Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4,613 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wanted to know if anyone has ever tried this on their truck. It has come down to either trimming them or doing a body colored taillight cover.

·
<---1 of none!
6,583 Posts
did the same thing on booger but no pics yet

·
#19 &#387;op &#477;n&#1503;q &#477;&#1503;&#647;&#
13,196 Posts
I like the looks of the painted trim...may have to do that to Little Blue Guy....

In the summer when it's dry

·
<---1 of none!
6,583 Posts
Thats the one! What a pain in the ballsack to mask.
agreed!!! If the paint happens to run under the tape you just about want to hang yourself. If that does happen then you need some nail polish remover and lots of Q tips and patience.

·
Unregistered User
1,243 Posts
I did this on my Gen 3 (so its a little different), but it works better if you mask the perimeter off with fine line tape, then use blue masking tape to fill (overlapping the fine line tape). The fine line tape seals against the plastic better, gives a hard edge and doesn't tend to wick paint under it that easily. It is sort of an art to making it conform to curves (you have to stretch it just right), but it's cheap enough you can just keep trying until you have it. Use one continuous piece for each section and really line up the overlap.

Then just use tons of light coats of paint. Never actually lay down a full coat. Mist and dry, mist and dry.

·
Registered
4,613 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I did this on my Gen 3 (so its a little different), but it works better if you mask the perimeter off with fine line tape, then use blue masking tape to fill (overlapping the fine line tape). The fine line tape seals against the plastic better, gives a hard edge and doesn't tend to wick paint under it that easily. It is sort of an art to making it conform to curves (you have to stretch it just right), but it's cheap enough you can just keep trying until you have it. Use one continuous piece for each section and really line up the overlap.

Then just use tons of light coats of paint. Never actually lay down a full coat. Mist and dry, mist and dry.
That is some very interesting advice. I never really thought of doing that.

I think I am cooking up a different plan though with my tail lights. I think I am going to modify the tail light covers that I have so they dont look so cheap.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts