Dakota Durango Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm in Kuwait at the moment and my car has a problem with the transmission 2000 5.9 Durango). When i drive fast (nearly full speed) the overdrive switches off and the lamp for "trans temp" go's on. I have to wait with engine off and it is fine. When i drive normal in the city, no problem (at the moment). The ATF fluid has the normal color and the smell is also ok. No shifting problems, everything is fine.
Before, the same was in the city after short drives, a flushed the atf and changed the filter. I need to say there was a front accident with the previus owner and the tranny cooler is a little twisted...

I think about a bigger cooler, but i think also it is maybe only a sensor problem. Any Ideas about my case?

Jens

·
Registered
3,844 Posts
the tranny cooler is probably crimped inside from the accident and the fluid has to be pumped at higher pressure to get through the crimped area. think of it as if i were to pinch one of your main aortas on your heart. i bet your holy crap whats happening light will come on also.
Change the cooler. if you dont have the $$ to do that then bypass it by clamping a hose on the tranny lines after you disconnect them from the stock cooler. Do this as soon as you can cause when youre starving the tranny for fluid youll burn up the clutches or palnetary gears
Rob

1 - 2 of 2 Posts