Dakota Durango Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
99 Dakota Sport 2wd 318
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
99 Dakota 2wd with 44RE and 318.

1. Slight shudder under mild tipin in forward and reverse.

2. Sometimes when cold, I'll have to use extra gas when backing up. No real RPM/MPH mismatch, really more feeling like the brakes are on or the truck is full.

Observations- fluid level is good. Fluid is somewhat dark but still red (PO said he changed it about 60k ago, and it looks like Mercon V with 60-70k) but doesn't smell burnt. No trans heat light, or check engine light. Ever. Shifts immediately into Drive, very promptly into Reverse. No issues driving.

·
Registered
1988 Dodge Dakota LWB RC 3.9V6 3 speed auto
1,572 Posts
I'd plan on a filter and fluid swap (to ATF+4 as spec'ed) and have the bands adjusted.

RwP

·
Registered
99 Dakota Sport 2wd 318
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That's the plan. Been driving it since Easter and it doesn't appear to be getting worse. One shop tried to tell me the valve body was cross leaking. I'd think I'd have killed the trans after 2 months. Or at least have a CEL..

·
Registered
99 Dakota Sport 2wd 318
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Follow up. The oldest transmission shop here says it just needs serviced and the bands adjusted.

·
Registered
99 Dakota Sport 2wd 318
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Follow up again. They did it Friday and shift quality is modestly improved, not that it was bad. Still shifting at the same points, just smoother now. Pretty sure the slight shudder is gone too. They said there was nothing in the pan and the fluid looked pretty good.

I hate it in car forums where people post questions and there's no resolution.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts