Dakota Durango Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm getting ready to change the fluid in the tranny and the rearend of my '00 R/T. Does anybody have any tips? I heard something about dropping the pan on the tranny to get most out, but then running the engine in park to flush out the rest, sounds kind of dangerous to me. How much fluid do I need for each and what kind does everyone recommend? Thanks a lot!

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
When you drop the pan that only gets about 4 qts of fluid. Depending on the tranny you have 9 or more qts total .

What I do is drop the pan change the filter and put the pan back on. Refill with 4qts of fluid. The tranny cooler lines run from the drivers side along the bottom of the radiator to the passenger side where they connect to the cooler in the radiator. Right in the middle is a flare fitting that adapts the steel line from the tranny to a rubber line that goes to the radiator cooler. Take this apart and put a piece of rubber line on the steel line side and direct it into a bucket. Start the engine and place it in neutral ( the pump does not pump fluid in park) and pump about 4qts of fluid into the bucket. At the first sign of a sputter in the flow of fluid stop. Stop the engine, reflill the tranny pan and do it again. This will flush most all of the old fluid out of the system without running it dry.

FWIW, chrysler is now recomending ATF+4 in all there automatics regardless of what the owners manaul says. I have heard enough good things about ATF+4 that it sounds like paying the extra for it is worth the extra cost. The +4 is only availble right now from the dealer (BTW, Valvoline claims there MaxLife ATF meets +4 specs), check around for a decent price. The normal going price is $7 per qt, I got it for $4.99 in gallon containers.

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks! So how much fluid should be in it in the end? I understand that it is possible to overfill it and risk damage to the tranny. And do you have any tips for the rearend?

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Don't forget to thoroghly clean out the pan, and the magnet, don't forget to put the magnet back in!

Scrape off the old gasket completly off the pan and tranny with a duh, gasket scraper, DO NOT USE A FLAT HEAD SCREWDRIVER!

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
rt_terror said:
Thanks! So how much fluid should be in it in the end? I understand that it is possible to overfill it and risk damage to the tranny. And do you have any tips for the rearend?
The owners manual will tell you the capacity of the tranny. If you have an R/T then it should be a 46RE and I believe that's 12 qts. Just make sure you do not go over the FULL mark on the tranny dipstick. You check it with the engine running in neutral (not park).

The rear end will require a large pan to catch the oil. It to is never a clean operation because there is no drain plug. I loosen all the bolts then pop the cover loose and let the oil drain. If you take all the bolts out and pop the cover loose the oil gushes out and Murphy makes sure the drain pan is not in the right place to catch it.

Defineately use synthetic gear oil in the rear end. And, if you have a limited slip rear end then make sure you add the limited slip friction modifier if the gear oil does not already have it in it. The rear end you just fill until oil comes out the fill hole (truck on level ground) about 2qts.

·
Registered
2,201 Posts
make sure you pickup some hightemp rtv to reseal your pumpkin (rear end) be a good time to order a chrome one

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Nice tips guys! I'm actually going to be doing my tranny and rear end in the next week or two and these tips are going to help me a lot! :) Thanks!

·
Registered
2,201 Posts
1 - 9 of 9 Posts