Dakota Durango Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I have a 2002 Dodge Dakota with a 45rfe and I need to know how to read the dipstick. I know its sounds like I'm stupid but I'm not. I just changed it out. It has like two marks at the bottom and says cold in between them and add below the bottom one. Then futher up on the dipstick it has two more mark with hot between them. I need to know where it needs to be when I'm checking it. Right now I have in between the hot and cold. Also when checking it do I need to have it park or neutral when I'm checking it. I also know it needs to be warmed up when I check it. Thanks

·
Registered
654 Posts
Between the cold marks would be when you check it before it's cold. Needs to be neutral. If the truck is warm and the oil is warm in the trans been driving a bit than you will look at the warm lines. If it's bellow the warm and the trans oil is warm you need to add a bit.

·
Banned
25,820 Posts
After driving a while, put it in park, keep it running and read it for the hot position.

·
Premium Member
17,622 Posts
After driving a while, put it in park, keep it running and read it for the hot position.
You always check a auto transmission in neutral, not park. Unless you have a modified valve body, the fluid does not circulate in park and your fluid level will read higher than it needs to be.

·
Premium Member
560 Posts
You always check a auto transmission in neutral, not park. Unless you have a modified valve body, the fluid does not circulate in park and your fluid level will read higher than it needs to be.
Actually in my Ford explorer you check it at op temp in park, which is what screwed me up with my durango when I changed the trans fluid......Found out later you check these at op temp in netrual and i was 1 3/4 quarts low.

·
The Anti-RUB
1,752 Posts
You always check a auto transmission in neutral, not park.
The owners and Factory Service Manual for my '03 D say to check it in Park (after getting the truck warmed up, and cycling through the gears for 2 seconds a piece ending at Park).

·
Banned
7,509 Posts
On my dipstick it says have engine running and place tranny in N. If you want pic I can take it

·
The Anti-RUB
1,752 Posts
Sounds like different years and model trannies have different procedures. I'd say check your owners manual and do the steps it says to do.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks, everybody. I don't have the owners manual; so I guess Ill go with in N and warm fluid.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Be sure to read both sides of the stick, and go with the lowest of the two!

And yes, Dodge Torqueflite transmissions are to be checked in Neutral.
Even if you have a rapid fill valve or similar VB modifications, it is still the best practice to check in Neutral.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts