Dakota Durango Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had the kit put in at a "reputable" tranny shop on Monday. As soon as I drove away & was able to take it through the gears, at WOT, in drive, I was not happy. It shifted fine from 1 to 2 (at 5200) but it goes into 3rd too early, about 4600. So I've been hagglin' with the guys for a couple of days now & they're gonna have a look at it on Thusday. But I'm not too optemistic!! They don't seem to have a clue about this kit. I assumed they knew wtf they were doing. The owners son, who I've been dealing with & seems like a decent guy was on the phone with TransGo last night while I was there & they told him "it will shorten up the shifts, etc" so they were pretty much telling me it is what it is!! [email protected]!!! Funny thing is it shifted at 5200 (4800 stock, 5200 after PCM flash) before I took it too them now it doesn't. I don't get it!!! The mechanic who worked on it got pissed right off when I wasn't happy with it. The friggin' instructions say "it will adjust from 4700 to 5200" depending on what "colour" of springs you put in. The orange spring, which is the longest & for the 5200rpm shifts was already in it, but now it shifts into 3rd at 4600. The shifts are nice but wtf!!! I'm thinkin' maybe I can fix it with a stronger or longer spring. I read the instructions & there are some mods done to the original parts & one of them is a part (like a plunger) where the spring goes. & it says to cut it down to a certain length. So maybe they took too much off?? But it does shift fine from 1st to 2nd so I don't know.

Also they put this new part in, which they didn't even ask if I wanted, that allows you to shift into 1st at any RPM!! I don't want that & I don't understand why anyone would. GOD DAMN IT!!! :cussing:

·
Blown and Squirted
3,407 Posts
Your shift points are more then likely the same as they were as before. There is MUCH less overrun on the shifts now, so the motor doesnt have time spin up on the overrun. This is a good thing, dont complain. The tranny shop did nothing wrong and transgo is right. Your tranny is much more effcient now and you truck is prolly faster. If you really wanna see 5200 on the tach when it shifts, youll need to get the computer flashed to raise the 2-3 shift higher then normal.

BTW the 1st kickdown command thing is standard part of the transgo kit. Pretty much industry standard modification to perf. auto trannys. Just take note of your speed at about 3/4 of you engines rev range (I am not sure about v6s) and make sure to only call a downshift below this point. The idea is you can time your down shift better the computer and to elinimte the factory granny.

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Oh really? I went to Mr. Transmission & they adjusted the TV cable & it works fine & as it should now!! :drive:

I can read a tach!! 4600 is a long way from 5200!! :sorry:

·
YZNUP
405 Posts
I am looking into getting the same kit for my 1997. I was curious how well the kit performed and if it was worth buying. I am hoping that it fixes my current tranny problems. I don't know if something is broke inside the trans or if a solenoid is going out. See what happens is when I punch it from a roll 10mph-50mph. The truck will start to just slam and take off like it should, but about 3500rpm or a little more. It like seizes and want let the rpms climb any higher. It really puts strain on the engine when it does it. It is like something is locking up in the tranny and will not let it proceed of higher rpms. It happens quite often, but not all the time. Also if I punch it from a dead stop it will be fine. What the hell could it be and do you think having a shift kit with that shift on command would fix my problem. Some people tend to think that it could be to much line pressure in the trans, but what would cause that. I need some feedback. :help:

·
LGP
1,781 Posts
Was that all that was wrong with it. I just installed the TransGo in my 2000 R/T and it shifts at that exact same point. Havent had time to look at it. So just the TV cable?

·
I'm Retired!
817 Posts
Five9Dak said:
Your shift points are more then likely the same as they were as before. There is MUCH less overrun on the shifts now, so the motor doesnt have time spin up on the overrun. This is a good thing, dont complain. The tranny shop did nothing wrong and transgo is right. Your tranny is much more effcient now and you truck is prolly faster. If you really wanna see 5200 on the tach when it shifts, youll need to get the computer flashed to raise the 2-3 shift higher then normal.

BTW the 1st kickdown command thing is standard part of the transgo kit. Pretty much industry standard modification to perf. auto trannys. Just take note of your speed at about 3/4 of you engines rev range (I am not sure about v6s) and make sure to only call a downshift below this point. The idea is you can time your down shift better the computer and to elinimte the factory granny.
It's exactly what he said. WAY less overrun. I installed the TransGo on my R/T and it did the exact same thing. I had my shift points raised to 5600, and it shifts about 5100 w/ the TransGo. If you want to go higher, shift up through the column. If you're trying to tweak 2nd gear to 5600 rpm, it's better to just keep the column on 2 instead of having it in D -- then when you get 2nd gear where you want it, shift it into D to get into 3rd gear.

If you adjusted the TV cable and it works as you like it now, then more power to you. But just saying, the TransGo kit does that. A lot of people aren't aware of that when it's installed, but it is as it should be.

·
LGP
1,781 Posts
na360rt, howd you get your shift points raised? Also will shifting with the colum do any damage to the tranny?

·
Loud is NOT Fast
1,768 Posts
thumpinhard25 said:
na360rt, howd you get your shift points raised? Also will shifting with the colum do any damage to the tranny?
Manual shifting does not hurt the trans. unless you drop it to first gear with the stuff that will let you shift to first at any speed.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts