Dakota Durango Forum banner

41 - 59 of 59 Posts

·
Frog Legs
1,602 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
Bump.

I still want to do this swap. Now that the axle swap is done this is the next step for me. Currently my front output is a cv and I want to run a yoke. The front driveshaft is bolted up with those lousy 6 metric screws and that is the weak link in my drivetrain. I am actively looking for a np231.

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
Bump.

I still want to do this swap. Now that the axle swap is done this is the next step for me. Currently my front output is a cv and I want to run a yoke. The front driveshaft is bolted up with those lousy 6 metric screws and that is the weak link in my drivetrain. I am actively looking for a np231.
You could just change the yoke to one of the more common yokes. The 231/233/242/249 t-cases from Dodge/Jeep all use the same spline on the front output. I know when I swapped the 249 in my Jeep Grand Cherokee I used the yoke from my 249 on the 242 that I swapped in so I didn't have to screw with the front driveshaft. IIRC the NP 208 used in the older Dodges/Jeeps may also use the same spline.

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
So help me out here. To eliminate the front cup output, any newer model jeep/ chrysler front output from the cases you listed will swap then.
Yes. Your Jeep'n buddies probably have several in their parts piles that you could choose from.

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Will that fit my NP233??

Here is some info on Dodge T-Cases. That is the front yoke in that pic correct? It looks like a 27 or 28 spline.
Yes, front yoke. 26 spline.

Not sure if it fits. I can get any other measurements if you want to compare to yours.

The D in 231D stands for Dodge, 231C is chevy, 231J is jeep

·
Frog Legs
1,602 Posts
Discussion Starter #52
Well the only way to know for sure is to remove the cup. My truck is coming off the road for a week or so soon for some misc shit so I will pull it then. I will check locally first and if I don't find anything then I will let you know.

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
Should fit, the 233 is just the electric shift version of the 231.

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Well the only way to know for sure is to remove the cup. My truck is coming off the road for a week or so soon for some misc shit so I will pull it then. I will check locally first and if I don't find anything then I will let you know.
I can't sell this one, but at least you can verify spline count.

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
You could just change the yoke to one of the more common yokes. The 231/233/242/249 t-cases from Dodge/Jeep all use the same spline on the front output. I know when I swapped the 249 in my Jeep Grand Cherokee I used the yoke from my 249 on the 242 that I swapped in so I didn't have to screw with the front driveshaft. IIRC the NP 208 used in the older Dodges/Jeeps may also use the same spline.
I was wrong. :huh:

242/249 and 208 front outputs are 32 spline and larger than the 26 spline 231/233 front output shafts.

231 shares the same spline count/shaft size as a D44. D300 are supposed to be the same but don't have one here to verify that fact.

·
Likes More Power!
231 Posts
I have a 1998 Durango with the 231 TC. I found a 242 out of a 2002 V8 Grand Cherokee that from what I've read is the HD model. Since I'm bolting it to a 4L80, the input shaft is not an issue as it will be changed to a 32 spline model. Are the Jeep 242s otherwise interchangeable with the 242 out of the 98-99 Durango?

·
Likes More Power!
231 Posts
As an update here for future reference, I have the 2002 Jeep WJ 242 transfer case. It will bolt up to the Hummer transfer case adapter and my 1998 Durango driveshaft slips into it. I'll have to swap out the front input shaft to mate to the 4L80, but have one from a 241 that should work.

It looks like the front yoke is the same size as the Durango 231. At this point, an issue is the 4WD light switch. The Dodge 242 uses Dorman PN 600-558 which appears to have longer threads than the switch that is in the Jeep TC (Mopar PN 5083138AA, stamped 40877). The Jeep switch has 2 pins and apparently the computer controls the 4WD light.

I also have not tried to connect the shifter yet, but have obtained one from a 98-99 242 Durango.

41 - 59 of 59 Posts