Dakota Durango Forum banner

1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
so what manual t-case will replace my auto t-case? Will np242 bolt up? Didn't daks use the np242 up to the 00/01 model year split??
231 is part time 4wd with manual shift.

233 is part time 4wd with electric shift.

242 is part/full time 4wd with manual shift.

243 is part/ full time 4wd with electric shift.

·
Banned
8,203 Posts
231 is part time 4wd with manual shift.

233 is part time 4wd with electric shift.

242 is part/full time 4wd with manual shift.

243 is part/ full time 4wd with electric shift.
Well said--you know your stuff.

Although I do have one addition to your post...

The 242/243 cases are made in two different variations. One of them has full-time and part-time, while the other has full-time, part-time, and a 2wd option as well.

·
H.R.C #18
2,035 Posts
what do you guys mean part/full time. i had a 242 in my zj. same thing as that.just not sure what you mean by it.

·
Banned
8,203 Posts
what do you guys mean part/full time. i had a 242 in my zj. same thing as that.just not sure what you mean by it.
Full-time 4wd (aka AWD) means you can use it anytime you want. Part-time 4wd (aka 4HI LOCK) means you can use it during times of low traction.

The difference between them is that full-time 4wd has an open differential in the transfer case that allows 4wd to be used, but also allows differentiation between the two axles for street use.

Part-time 4wd bypasses the center differential and locks both driveshafts together, which makes street driving impossible unless you're an idiot who can ignore horrible grinding sounds.

·
H.R.C #18
2,035 Posts
i must be over looking something here thats all. i had a 242 in my jeep.it was 2wd,4 full time,4 part,neutral, & 4 lo... does the dak 242 have the same features?id assume it did.& is it possible to bolt one up (manual) if i cut the floor? mines got the 233 in it now.would i benefite(sp) at all?

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
i must be over looking something here thats all. i had a 242 in my jeep.it was 2wd,4 full time,4 part,neutral, & 4 lo... does the dak 242 have the same features?id assume it did.& is it possible to bolt one up (manual) if i cut the floor? mines got the 233 in it now.would i benefite(sp) at all?
The earlier Dak 242 t-case had the 2wd position on it's shifter. When they went to the electric shift 243 they did away with the 2wd position.

Having owned a V8 Jeep ZJ with the 242 (installed it myself) there was virtually no mileage difference between 2wd part time/4wd full time since like the Daks everything turned all the time anyway but handling, especially in winter, was better in 4wd full time so it spent most of it's time there anyway. The 2wd option was nice for sliding on corners and scaring the wife though.:D

I wish the wife's Dak had the 243 in it because she doesn't really understand when you should use part time 4wd and it would be easier on the truck (and my nerves) if I didn't have to worry about her using it when she shouldn't. For 99% of her driving the 4wd full time position would be perfect and I may install a 243 if I can get a deal on one.

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
So I should be looking for an np242 then??
If you want or need the full time option.

The 231 is considered to be a stronger t-case though and there is more aftermarket support for them than there is for the 242.

·
Banned
8,203 Posts
If you want or need the full time option.

The 231 is considered to be a stronger t-case though and there is more aftermarket support for them than there is for the 242.
The 231 being a stronger case depends on who you talk to. The 242 has a larger case, which typically represents a stronger case and internals.

Just some background transfer case info for you to know...

1. The first number designates the number of gear ranges (most of them being 2-ranges (4HI and 4LO), yet some of them have only one range). NV2XX

2. The second number designates the case size, which typically has a direct relation with the strength and use of the transfer case. NV23X, NV24X, & NV27X

3. The third number designates how the transfer case is actuated (shifts). NV231, NV233, NV242, NV243

·
H.R.C #18
2,035 Posts
full time like having awd you can have it in all the time just like 2wd.i used that mode alot in my jeep when the road were really bad in the winter.& part time i used only when i really needed 4 wheels drive & 4lo i never used.

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
2. The second number designates the case size, which typically has a direct relation with the strength and use of the transfer case. NV23X, NV24X, & NV27X
This applies more to the later New Venture models since the mid 90s or so and doesn't encompass the earlier New Process models such as the 203, 205 & 208.

3. The third number designates how the transfer case is actuated (shifts). NV231, NV233, NV242, NV243
Doesn't hold true in all cases like the 247, 249 and a few others.

1 - 20 of 59 Posts