Dakota Durango Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just posted a question about rebuilding my transmission, but since these questions are for the 4-wheel-drive part of my truck, I figured it would be best to put them here. Can anyone suggest a good rebuild kit for the transfer case in my truck? It needs to be able to handle at least 350 hp. The other questions pertain to the front and rear differentials. Could I put a locking rear differential and a front limited slip differential in my truck and not sacrifice driveability? The only times I would use 4 wheel drive is in extremely inclement weather or on the beach. There may be other times that I would use it but 99% of the 4x4 time would be the previously mentioned circumstances. Also, if I just put a locking rear differential in, which one would be best in terms of quiet operation? I am considering a torsen differential. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
725 Posts
If 350hp is the least, what is most? The NP231 can support about 350hp, but more than that and you're pushing it. There are ways to upgrade them, such as wider chains and planetary gears with more pinions….But at some point you maybe better off going to the next bigger t-case, like a NP241

If the only times you intend to use 4wd is during inclimate weather or on the beach, save your money and leave the front differential alone. A front limited slip for your application might be a tad overkill and if you plan to drive it on ice, you may find that you will have difficulty steering. A limited slip for the rear will be fine. I would caution you against using a locker on ice. A locked rear can go sideways very quickly on ice or very slippery surfaces and make driving difficult if you or anyone else driving the truck is not familiar with them. If you can spend more and you must have a locker, consider a manual locker which allows you to choose (shift) between open diff and locked. One more thing, if you're new to 4wds, don't shift into 4wd on pavement, wet or dry. These transfer cases are designed to lock the front and rear together, like a locker in an axle and there is no give. If you are driving in 4wd on a hard surface, bind develops in the drivetrain and parts will break. These systems require a little tire slip to relieve bind and loose surfaces can allow this. This is the "give" they need. You may use 4wd in deep snow or on ice, but if you're on wet pavement, stay in 2wd.

Ed

·
Registered
725 Posts
Yes, 4wd on the beach is fine, it's pretty much necessary. Sand isn't solid like pavement so any possibility of bind is greatly reduced.

Ed

·
Registered
374 Posts
I ended up putting a NP271 in my tractor tire truck. I broke a few 231's and got tired of it. 241's are a step up, the 271 is a beast. I had to drop my powertrain about 2"s to fit it easier LOL

1 - 5 of 5 Posts