Dakota Durango Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Today was finally able to look at the wifes durango (was hearing clanking noise when accelerating) and found the transfer case to be very low on fluid. When accelerating about half throttle you hear the clanking and as soon as you ease off the throttle it stops. If you accelerate easily you have no problems. When i put it into 4-lock the clanking noise was constant. Any idea's what i should do.( does this sound like a stretched chain) What to look at. What kind of transfer case does this model have. I believe it is the NV144
2005 Durango 4.7L

·
Registered
45 Posts
did you top off the fluid on the transfercase yet? depending on mileage and ease of replacement, id recommend drain and fill the xfercase.

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
yeah you need to fill the x-fer case before anything because that is most likely the problem. depending on how long it's been like this and how you have used it there may or may not be permenant damage to it.

also check your front driveshaft for play. it could also be that clunking around due to bad joints.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Have checked all U-joints and all are tight no play. I def did refill and drove for a day with new fluid in it and still same problems. Was going to drain and refill a 2nd time(possible metal shavings) if problem went away but it didnt.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts