Dakota Durango Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought this truck three months ago and it has been a money pit. It was given high dollar detail and I certainly didn't do enough due diligence.
I have done the shocks, ball joints, brakes, master cylinder, brake lines, oil.

I am hearing a pretty significant dry noise, hum coming from the transaxle(I think), I hope its not the transmission.
There are fluid leaks everywhere.

Please help point me in the right direction, I am not very familiar with drive-trains.
I am not in the position to afford a mechanic, if I can do repairs myself.
But admittedly, a half-arse mechanic.

The transmission fluid level is full.

I cant even think straight, this has become a nightmare. What should I do next?

Attachments

·
Registered
721 Posts
FYI, transaxles are common only on front wheel drive vehicles. Your truck has a transmission.
Your truck has either 4wd or AWD and it appears based on your photos that the front differential is leaking around the pinion seal. (But you may want to confirm that this oil is coming from the front differential and not from the engine)

The hum you are hearing and the apparent "leak" indicates that the oil in the front differential is low. You can easily check it. The front differential should have a plug in the cover. Remove the plug. If the level is full, oil should trickle out of the plug hole. If no oil trickles out, stick your finger in the hole (make sure the differential is cool) You should feel the oil near the plug hole. If you can't feel oil near the hole, it's well below the hole, or not at all, it's dry. A quick repair is to top off the oil level. Make sure you use the correct gear oil. (Oil type and weight should be in your owner's manual)
The oil you add will leak out but you may save the differential and buy some time to replace the pinion seal, however check the level often....

BTW, never use 4wd on pavement. This can lead to serious damage. Disregard if you have AWD.

Ed

1 - 2 of 2 Posts