Dakota Durango Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2001 Dakota with the 3.9l with 42re trans.

The other morning it wouldn't shift out of first gear under normal driving, so i went wot and it stayed at 4k rpm. I thought it was just cold, a week later and it done it again but only it wouldn't rev past 3k rpm. Now its doing it on a daily basis if i floor it. I thought it was trans problem but a friend said his rsx had the same problem that it was a sensor on the motor somewhere.

Today i was coming home from school and floored it while going 30 mph~ and it felt like it kicked down into neutral(more less like if i pushed a clutch in or it slipped like crazy then went into gear when i let off) and just revved to roughly 4k before i let off then it felt like it went into gear. Under normal driving it dose fine usually sometimes in the cold it hangs second gear but i've heard that's normal for dodges while cold, but it drives great, but every now and again it will will have almost no power and back fire(sounds like in the TB, stomp it and it will clear up and power restored)

I've been told its the cats yet a local muffler shop said it felt fine at the tip at idle and revving. Any help will be appreciated, im planing on going to a local trans shop to see what they say about it.

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
What's the trans fluid color and smell like? Kind of sounds like the intermediate band is slipping.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The trans fluid still has the redish tint too it but smells a little different than normal, what kinda of smell suggests the bands going bad? Thanks!

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ok so i went to a neighbor whose been a mechanic for over 20+years and asked him what he thought about it, after a short drive he said the cats were clogged. After getting back to his shop he told me to put the parking brake on and hold the brake to the floor then put it in 1st and give it some gas and he said that there wasn't as much air coming out when revved as there were at idle plus you could hear a pretty good hissing sound from somewhere in front of the cats. Hopefully tomorrow im gonna get the cats cut off, Will this throw a code or should i zip the rears to the frame? Thanks all hope this fixes it!

·
Registered ABUser
1,097 Posts
Ok I evidently was wrong. It MIGHT not throw a code, but 9 times out of 10 when you take the cat out it throws a code, but you could have one of the one lucky trucks out of 10 that won't get a CEL, not very likely but it is possible. And thank you nitrohog for clearing up for certain that the rear O2's don't adjust fuel trims, even though my explanation of it speaks to roughly 1 out of every 10 vehicles on the road that the rear O2's can adjust fuel trims. I guess my 1 out of 10, and your 1 out of 10 chances differ so very much that I am wrong and completely inaccurate.

91sonomast said:
Yes it's gonna throw a code, just unplug them. I don't know why people ziptie the whole sensor and all to the frame, it's still gonna throw codes. On most GM's the rear O2's are just to monitor the cat, but some vehicles the rear O2's can actually make adjustments to the fuel trims, in that case it would add a bunch more fuel because it's reading lean as shit and runs your mpg down. If it's unplugged the PCM is getting no sort of input so it just ignores the missing sensor(s) and uses the ones that are sending signals to make adjustments.

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
Actually that information is very incorrect. The rear o2 sensors on these trucks simply monitor the cats. The upstream sensors alone affect the fuel trim. Unplugging the sensors alone will throw a code. My 99 doesn't throw a code with the sensors in the exhaust but many others do, especially in newer trucks. If that's the case you can tie them up or run o2 Sims. These trucks are different than that gm crap, not everything applies across manufacturers.

·
Registered ABUser
1,097 Posts
Did I say for sure it did apply to Dodge? Did I say for sure it applied to all GM's? No, read twice open your mouth once. I was using GM as an example because it's what I know well, I clearly said:
91sonomast said:
On most GM's the rear O2's are just to monitor the cat
Thanks for being a douche bag though!
And I betcha my piece of crap GM will whoop your ass on any kind of track you wanna put your slow piece of crap Dakota on ;), and it's still not complete yet.
And if everything applied across manufacturers you wouldn't need all those mods to keep up with a GM fullsize truck that has a CAI and cat back exhaust lol

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
Haha last time I checked he was asking a question about a dodge truck on a dodge truck forum. I never said your information was incorrect, simply that it was dead wrong in this particular application and in turn completely useless for the question that he asked. Sounds like somebody needs his ego stroked by his government motors buddies or something (shrug). And yes, I bet it would because I only run high 12s with no desire to do much elese with it, it's a cruiser that I'm not afraid to take to the track or drive 3200 miles in in a weekend. That's all I want out of it.

·
Registered ABUser
1,097 Posts
Not at all. And my information was not really incorrect at all, I clearly stated that the rear O2's were most likely just a cat monitor. I MAY be wrong about leaving the O2 in the exhaust pipe, but 9/10 still throw a code. Maybe my explanation was more than you could understand?

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
Smh... In the words of Ron white, you just can't fix stupid. Comparing apples to grapefruit isn't getting anybody anywhere...

·
Registered ABUser
1,097 Posts
Right.......stupid because my explanation gave a bit more information than it could have, but didn't explain the chances that his CEL might not come on.

·
9,489 Posts
Uhh..

·
Outlaws Phone Warden
12,864 Posts
Not at all. And my information was not really incorrect at all, I clearly stated that the rear O2's were most likely just a cat monitor. I MAY be wrong about leaving the O2 in the exhaust pipe, but 9/10 still throw a code. Maybe my explanation was more than you could understand?
Bullshit....ask any one of us guys that have an o2 dangling in the frame rail just to keep the CEL off to pass emissions....no light at all....

·
Outlaws Phone Warden
12,864 Posts
Right.......stupid because my explanation gave a bit more information than it could have, but didn't explain the chances that his CEL might not come on.
Stupid because you are bringing bullshit info about our trucks..... The o2 out of the pipe will NOT throw a code, nor will it do it 9/10 times......

·
Registered ABUser
1,097 Posts
My truck did it, my cousins 93 318 did it, and there's 2 other guys in town, one has a 97 and the other a 99, both reg cab 318 trucks, theirs did it as well, sensor plugged in and in the pipe and then sensor ziptied to the frame(we all cleared the code after moving it to the frame and it came back). My buddy in Jacksonville has a 00 R/T, his threw the code too. Maybe it's a run of bad luck, but that's 5/5 trucks that the CEL still came on for catalytic converter P0420. And the guy I bought my M1 from had a 99 with the same results, so that's 6/6. So in my experiences, no matter what was done the CEL came on for the O2 sensor.

·
9,489 Posts
My truck did it, my cousins 93 318 did it, and there's 2 other guys in town, one has a 97 and the other a 99, both reg cab 318 trucks, theirs did it as well, sensor plugged in and in the pipe and then sensor ziptied to the frame(we all cleared the code after moving it to the frame and it came back). My buddy in Jacksonville has a 00 R/T, his threw the code too. Maybe it's a run of bad luck, but that's 5/5 trucks that the CEL still came on for catalytic converter P0420. And the guy I bought my M1 from had a 99 with the same results, so that's 6/6. So in my experiences, no matter what was done the CEL came on for the O2 sensor.

You're a liar. How do I know? Because in 93 there was no post-cat O2 sensor. That is an OBD2 requirement not found until 96.

·
Registered ABUser
1,097 Posts
You're a liar. How do I know? Because in 93 there was no post-cat O2 sensor. That is an OBD2 requirement not found until 96.
Ok back to 5/5. My bad, I thought he said rear O2.

·
9,489 Posts
Uhh OK, what kind of moron removes the front sensor and zipties it up?

You lied. You got caught. Now you're backpedaling. Nobody else gets codes leaving the rear sensor tied up so you're lying about that too.

The only function of the rear sensor is to ensure that there is a different reading from the front sensor (which means the cat us working). That's why ziptying it up works.

·
Registered ABUser
1,097 Posts
On one spot. I'm not backpedaling from the 2nd gen trucks that experienced the problem. You can come check mine out anytime you want.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks for all the help guys, i took the truck to a local muffler shop after school and he cut the 3rd cat off and you couldn't see crap through it and a piece fell out. The power is back, before it felt like i was pulling a really heavy trailer now it feels brand new 100% improvement but since i have a Magnaflow straight through type muffler its kinda loud.... but it runs way better. I left the two cats on but straight piped the 3rd. Thanks all for the help!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts