Dakota Durango Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I searched the forum and have seen similar posts. Seems as if my problem may be a little different. Maybe. 98 Durango 5.2L 4wd. I began noticing this problem some time ago. It started while driving up a mountain highway. I was running about 60-65 mph in OD. When it should have down shifted to 3rd from OD, it jumps to 2nd. Very noticeable! Ultra high rpm's. Let of of the throttle and it skips 3rd and goes directly into OD. A little throttle and it jumped to 2nd again. Let off, goes to OD. This time I pressed the OD switch, drops to 3rd, no problem. So from then on, I would disengage OD before climbing steep roads. A little while back, it began hesitating changing from 2nd to 3rd in normal conditions. I have to let off the throttle before it will ever change. If I don't let it sit for a moment to fully engage, it will jump back with the slightest throttle. Warm, cold, all conditions same thing. No significant fluid loss, transfer fluid doesn't smell burned.

I've seen posts about replacing screens, adjusting bands, adjusting TV cables(???), fill it with X brand trans-fix-it, and numerous other suggestions.

Does my problem sound unique or just a worse form of one of the other problems?

Thanks ahead of time.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Perhaps this is an uncommon problem? I'm hopeful someone else has encountered this, so to speak.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts