Dakota Durango Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2008 Dakota quad cab and when I put in 4 wheel drive, hi or low and try to backup it like it's binding up when I only turn to the left or right. I have replaced everything, wheel bearings half shafts, upper and lower ball joints and new universals fronts and backs along with all new brakes and wheel cylinders and calipers. When it does this you can hear a popping and cracking sound under the front seats and has a vibration when going around 40 to 45 mph and disappears around 55 mph but then comes back the faster you go say 65 to 70 mph. Any help would be great, possibly a bad crossmember or???

·
Registered
251 Posts
There’s two cross members, one under the diff and one supporting the trans. Check the trans mount for play with a pry bar. Rubber might look good but have micro-fissures weakening its damping ability

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
430 Posts
If you are putting it in 4wd on dry pavement and trying to turn, you're just binding up the drivetrain, and causing damage to it.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Of course, I was assuming he knows you can’t drive on dry pavement in 4wd hi or low as per the instructions in the manual

·
Registered
748 Posts
You're in 4wd up to 70mph? I hope you have a thick wallet! Unless your truck has All Wheel Drive, you should not be using 4WD on pavement.

Ed

·
Registered
18 Posts
You said you replaced the u joints front and rear. What about the CV joint on the front driveshaft (where it attaches to the front output of the transfer case). It's a notoriously bad design. The rubber seal that keeps the grease in is recessed where you can't hardly see it. The vibration you described made me wonder about it.

And I'll echo what everyone else says about 4 wheel drive on pavement. Traditional 4wd will bind up the drivetrain and steering on dry ground when turning. It's because the front tires are making a bigger circle than the rear tires. You can break drivetrain components doing that.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yes I do know that you can't drive in 4 wheel drive on payment and no I'm not driving 70 in 4 wheel drive either. I'm doing this in 4 wheel on mud and fields for 4 wheeling, it binds up in 4 wheel drive when I back up and turn either direction. Plus I can't figure out the vibration around 40 to 45 and back around 70, I have replaced everything as I mentioned in my last thread on here so I am still stumped on it. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
There’s two cross members, one under the diff and one supporting the trans. Check the trans mount for play with a pry bar. Rubber might look good but have micro-fissures weakening its damping ability

I do hear a popping noise under the front seat about where the cross member is. I'll have to check it out.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts