Dakota Durango Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2002 QC dak 4.7 4x4 with the 45rfe. I bought a trans cooler and when looking to install it I couldn't get the lines hot enough to tell which one is the return line. They are both on the passenger side with one at the very bottom of the radiator and one near the top. Is the bottom one the return?

If it helps; the top line coming out of the transmission is the one going into the bottom of the radiator, and the bottom line out of the trans is going to the top of the radiator.

Thanks, Q.

·
Registered
654 Posts
according to the manual the front port on the transmission is the Pressure line. And the Line coming from the rear of the transmission is the return line. I would trace it in. It says it goes to the bottom of the cooler and flows up and back.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
When I looked at the lines coming out of the trans they appeared to be the same distance back just one lower than the other. I will have to look again, but if the fluid goes in the bottom and out the top of the radiator then that helps.

Thanks.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Here is a very easy way to tell. Start the truck cold. With your foot on the brake, put it in drive. Wait about 10-15 seconds, put it back in park and turn the truck off. Reach under and feel both trans lines. The one that is much higher in temp will be from the trans into the radiator.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts