Dakota Durango Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey fellas. First time post on here, browsing the internet I found this site and really like it. Thanks for all the info!

Anyways, I have a 2004 Dodge Dakota 4.7 4x4 with 545RFE trans, and here are my symptoms. It will move from 1st to second no problem. Then when it reaches 3500ish RPM's, it just falls into like a neutral state, but if I floor it, the transmission falls back into 2nd gear at higher rpm's. I had pulled the pan, and read somewhere that it could be an accumulator plate possibly damaged. I pulled the valve body and it all looked just fine. One of the cylinders had some minor scarring in it, but didn't seem bad at 130,xxx miles on the truck. So I then noticed the sump filter had blown out on the side. I replaced both filters, and hoped that was causing some sort of pressure loss. Put it all back together, and nothing changed. I made sure to add atf+4. I have read somewhere else that it could be the solenoid pack on the valve body; but that is a 250+ dollar shot in the dark. Does it maybe sound like that could be the problem? It throws the dreaded p0700 code as well. There was absolutely zero debris found in the pan. No shavings or sparkles. Just seems like it could be something minor before I dump a bunch of money on a new transmission. Thanks for any help.:mullet:

·
Registered
92 Posts
http://www.obd-codes.com/p0700

That seems like a really bad and non-descript code to get!!!

For a P0700 the only real solution is to acquire a scan tool that will communicate with the transmission control module. Extracting this code from the TCM will be the first step in repairing the fault in the transmission. If the TCM compatible scan tool will not communicate with the Transmission Control Module then that is a good indication that there may be a fault with the TCM itself.

If you think that you might have a solenoid problem, those can be checked externally, as in check the resistance and apply voltage (or a ground) to see if you hear a click.

Were you able to remove all the debris that might have been from blowout of the filter? I recommend the metal replacement housing in the filters because I hate plastic, partially for this reason.

I also wonder if there is a way to check and/or adjust the transmission oil pressure on this transmission, because I suspect that it might be low.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey fellas. First time post on here, browsing the internet I found this site and really like it. Thanks for all the info!

Anyways, I have a 2004 Dodge Dakota 4.7 4x4 with 545RFE trans, and here are my symptoms. It will move from 1st to second no problem. Then when it reaches 3500ish RPM's, it just falls into like a neutral state, but if I floor it, the transmission falls back into 2nd gear at higher rpm's. I had pulled the pan, and read somewhere that it could be an accumulator plate possibly damaged. I pulled the valve body and it all looked just fine. One of the cylinders had some minor scarring in it, but didn't seem bad at 130,xxx miles on the truck. So I then noticed the sump filter had blown out on the side. I replaced both filters, and hoped that was causing some sort of pressure loss. Put it all back together, and nothing changed. I made sure to add atf+4. I have read somewhere else that it could be the solenoid pack on the valve body; but that is a 250+ dollar shot in the dark. Does it maybe sound like that could be the problem? It throws the dreaded p0700 code as well. There was absolutely zero debris found in the pan. No shavings or sparkles. Just seems like it could be something minor before I dump a bunch of money on a new transmission. Thanks for any help.:mullet:
Did you ever find out what was wrong with your truck I'm having the same problem

·
Registered
22 Posts
Sorry guys didn't see this was bumped from 2013 but I already answered it.
Sounds like a rebuild or replacement to me. If you lose a gear I do not know of any cheap fixes. Last I checked the 545rfe is actually a pretty good price from the dealership. I would go that route personally.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts