Dakota Durango Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
I bleev u have mai staplr
3,954 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am thinking about swapping out my Dogomatic in my 99 R/T for a manual. Anyone ever done this, how bad will it be? Whats a good transmission to do the swap. Any help would be awesome.

·
Registered
227 Posts
tranny swap

the guys are krc performance have done the swap quite a few times and can probably give you all the advice you need. they sell kits and everything else you'd need. check 'em out at krcperformance.com

·
Home Owner....
2,565 Posts
a couple have done the 6 speed swap.... kinda pricey at that.

pop into the Delphi Dakota R/T froums for a bit more info on this.

·
3,954 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Checked out KRC's site, but kinda got lost and couldnt find anythng about the swap. Just diff clutches.

·
Registered
227 Posts
better help this time

yeah sorry their website isn't the best. another place to check out is keislerauto.com then click on mopar and then you'll see the dakota option. these are the guys that actually make the transmissions so they should be a bigger help.

·
Home Owner....
2,565 Posts
scat_pack_dal said:
yeah sorry their website isn't the best. another place to check out is keislerauto.com then click on mopar and then you'll see the dakota option. these are the guys that actually make the transmissions so they should be a bigger help.

ya, thats the kit most guys are usin.... big piles of $$$$$$$$$$$$$ imvolved.

it takes a bit of tool tossin, cussin and bleedin, but it goes in. hopefully they get or got the bugs worked out, a couple i know had gear/synchro probs in the last year.

·
3,954 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Can I just awap it out with a 5-speed from a 5.2 dakota? Would the driveshaft length be the same? It should just bolt right up right?

·
Home Owner....
2,565 Posts
boominkota318 said:
Can I just awap it out with a 5-speed from a 5.2 dakota? Would the driveshaft length be the same? It should just bolt right up right?

not sure that the tranny would live long, but its would be worth a try. drive line survivability (sp) was a big part of the reasoning the 5spd wasnt offered as a option on the R/T.

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
It would be cheaper to have the tranny reworked. Automatics are great when they are set up right. If you just have to have a stick, I'm sure there are some great options there too.

·
3,954 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
razman131 said:
not sure that the tranny would live long, but its would be worth a try. drive line survivability (sp) was a big part of the reasoning the 5spd wasnt offered as a option on the R/T.

Aren't dodge's auto's really prone to problems though? I had the 5-speed in my 318 and loved it.

What do you recommend for my auto? I have played with the TV cable a little and i have the mopar PCM, so it shifts at 5200, but by then it seems like its past its powerband and it loses power before it shifts. It just doesnt throw you back like i think it should when it shifts.

·
3,954 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
boominkota318 said:
What do you recommend for my auto? I have played with the TV cable a little and i have the mopar PCM, so it shifts at 5200, but by then it seems like its past its powerband and it loses power before it shifts. It just doesnt throw you back like i think it should when it shifts.

Still wondering. :help:

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
Shifting at higher rpms only gives the illusion of quicker shifts. The only way to get good neck jerking shifts is with a tranny kit.

I'm going to stick my neck out and say that most dragstrip records are made with autos.

·
Registered
7,583 Posts
how much would that go for and what are the advantages of reworking an automatic tranny? thanks

·
Blown and Squirted
3,407 Posts
Build the auto, itll handle more power, and be more consistent. Not to mentiion much less of a hassle and much easier on the wallet.

Just get a transgo shift, 24-3000 stall converter, and freshen up the internals.

·
Premium Member
2,494 Posts
The Reason they use Automatics is for consistency not for a HP advantage. Manual Transmission are better in terms of HP Loss than a Automatic. That is the Reason your a seeing more and more cars with Clutchless Manuals IE BMW and Ferrari and such. Its only a matter of time before the Ole Dinosaur AutoBox is gone for good. :drive:But I would do what most of these Gents are saying just build up the Ole Slush Box

·
adicted to GT4
273 Posts
N56629 said:
Shifting at higher rpms only gives the illusion of quicker shifts. The only way to get good neck jerking shifts is with a tranny kit.

I'm going to stick my neck out and say that most dragstrip records are made with autos.
Records no, consistancy yes. the fastest configureation will be a manual (when driven well) as it loses less power in the driveline, however while you may gain a few tenths (most I have heard of is 1.2 seconds, but that is in a SLOW car, like a high 17 sec auto, high 16 sec well driven stick).

The difference, and the reason many people run auto's is for bracket racing where consistancy is key. You may be able to run a little a faster with a manual, but you time a shift differently, miss one, etc, it effects your time, a good driver can get rather consistant with LOTS of practice, but wil still not be as dead consistant as an auto. If you learn a consistant launch in your vehicle, and let the auto do the rest, you will be within a few hundreths of a sec everytime.

·
Stroked 91
556 Posts
I agree with most of these Gents in so far as auto's are way more consistent. That being said, There is no subsitute for the fun factor when you are driving a stick. Manual shift tranny's definately lose less horse power through the drivetrain. The manual swap will definately be more expensive, but my bets are you will have a lot more fun with it. No matter what you decide, make sure it is something you can live with, as this is your truck and you are the one driving it.

Jay :biggthump

Reactions: Jasonb61

·
Registered
616 Posts
ScatDak said:
The Reason they use Automatics is for consistency not for a HP advantage. Manual Transmission are better in terms of HP Loss than a Automatic. That is the Reason your a seeing more and more cars with Clutchless Manuals IE BMW and Ferrari and such.
The BMW's don't have a "clutchless" manual, its just that their SMG manual doesn't have a clutch pedal. Its still a 6 speed manual identical in design to the standard shift BMW's.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts