Dakota Durango Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1999 Dakota R/T with 55,000 miles. I bought it from a private owner, so no warranty. Yesterday it stopped shifting out of first until about 5200 RPM just driving normally. Then it would skip around and then go, not sure if it was 2nd or 3rd. I took it to the dealer and they told me I needed a)A reman. tranny for about $4,000 or b)A rebuild for $2,000.

I have heard of this as a common problem, but never really paid attention. What should I do? I read it could be some solenoids or a sensor, but I'm not sure. I don' really have two grand either, and I don't want to get screwed over. Thanks a lot guys.

·
Dakotaholic
243 Posts
Go to APS Precision Transmissions and get a new in the crate transmission for your Dak for under $2000 to your doorstep.

·
Super Modder
4,368 Posts
since its out of warranty take it to a tranny shop, not the dealer...might be your solenoid but not quite sure about that.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well, my grandpa used to own the dealer and mechanic worked for him for 35 years, so it's somebody I can trust. He told me that the ATF isn't red; it's more of a black color.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts