Dakota Durango Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Unregistered User
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So i swapped the motor in my Durango after i lost a main bearing. I had a 98 318 ( stock ) and pit in a 99 318 ( junkyard ) New motor runs beautifully but i am now facing a strange tranny problem. It shifts way to early. and seems to flare a bit in second. When it catches it catches hard. After that i have to keep heavy in the throttle to accelerate well at all. Once i am up to speed it maintains speed quite well.

No matter how hard i push the accelerator it will not downshift or go into a passing gear. It seems to reach final gear about 45 MPH and just stay there.

While i had the motor out i pulled the tranny and changed filter and fluids. Re filled it with +4 and a new pan gasket as well. Visual inspection showed no problems and i have never had any trouble out of it before.

I have checked the TV cable and even moved it to the extreme limit near the firewall and felt absolutely no change in the shift timing. I am getting only a single code with my scanner, p01899. Not sure if that could change my shift points or not.

Google and i have spent hours together talking over this problem and we are both just out of ideas. Anyone have a clue ?

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
I had my tv cable pop off of its little ball mount on the trans before causing very similar symptoms. Did you adjust the bands while it was out?

·
Unregistered User
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I had my tv cable pop off of its little ball mount on the trans before causing very similar symptoms. Did you adjust the bands while it was out?
I can lay on the ground under the truck while someone works the gas pedal and watch the tv cable move the shaft going into the transition. No changed to the band. all i did was drop the pan, remove the filter, visually inspect, install a new filter, and re-install the pan with a new gasket after removing all of the old one. No leaks or smells.

·
Unregistered User
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
As a guess i replaced the park/neutral safety switch. No change. I have tried to adjust the shift linkage as it is barely going into park before i dun out of room on the column but i cant figure out how to "unlock" the cable housing under the brake booster. I see the part that i am supposed to open to release the cable but i can for the life of me figure out how to open the thing up. ANy hints ?

·
Unregistered User
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The shift linkage has been adjusted, The park neutral safety switch has been replaced. I am still at a loss. I did find a plug hanging down by the tranny that is not connected to anything. But for the life if me i can not see anything to plug it into. its really close to the passenger side o2 sensor. 2 pins. Anyone have a clue ?

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
That plug is for a transfer case switch. I'd make sure that the band is properly adjusted to start with.

·
Unregistered User
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
OK, I will have to buy the torque wrench tomorrow than i can give that a shot. Just for curiosity, How could removing and re installing have caused the problem with the bands ? I am reading on Google and learning all this.

·
this is dayadge country
219 Posts
I know this sounds crazy, but it could be possible that the new fluid removed some of the vital gunk that was built up in the trans. I remember my transmissions teacher in college telling us that if a transmission had high miles, and had never been serviced or had it's fluid changed on time not to bother because it is almost always going to open a can of worms. The tech always ends up being the bad guy when things go wrong because the trans was working fine beforehand.

I'm with nitrohog, adjust the bands. I found this link very helpful when I adjusted mine:

http://www.dodgeram.org/tech/transmission/automatic/AT_band_adj.htm

i have this one bookmarked too:

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/transmission-band-adjustment-327109/index2.html

I massaged the pinch weld on my truck's floor with a hammer to access the front band adjustment screw. Made things a lot easier with my 42re.

·
Unregistered User
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
OK, Bands are adjusted now and now change. Maybe a slightly firmer shift, but that could be in my head. I did do some more testing and my TPS is only outputting 2.5v max. Could this be causing the early shifting ?

·
Unregistered User
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yeah... that's not right. Here's a post I made before that may help:

http://www.dakota-durango.com/forum/showpost.php?p=3077066&postcount=2
I understand its not right. Just not sure if it would be the cause of shifting so early that its really not drive-able. The Durango is parked till i get this right. Having to use my f250 SD with a Triton V10 as a daily driver till i get this. Also, How is this related to MAP sensor ? Or are you just trying to show the usage of a meter to test a sensor ?

·
Premium Member
17,622 Posts
Replace the TPS sensor, it provides inputs to the tranny for shifting. Also, do a proper TV cable adjustment.

You may also want to check to make sure you didn't pinch any wires between the motor and the bell housing when you put the new motor in.

Another thing, before you re-installed the new motor, did you make sure the torque converter was properly seated in the transmission?

·
this is dayadge country
219 Posts
I understand its not right. Just not sure if it would be the cause of shifting so early that its really not drive-able. The Durango is parked till i get this right. Having to use my f250 SD with a Triton V10 as a daily driver till i get this. Also, How is this related to MAP sensor ? Or are you just trying to show the usage of a meter to test a sensor ?
Yes how to use a meter... Honestly I don't know wtf I was thinking.:huh:

Are you getting a good 5v signal to it? That would definitely cause shifting issues though. Probably time for a replacement TPS.

·
Unregistered User
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
5.1v coming in tn the rear wire. max output of 2.5 on the center. I will replace today and report back with info. I Appreciate all of yalls input so far.

·
Unregistered User
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
No change after overnight battery removal and new TPS. I am about to give up and just put the damn thing in the shop.

·
this is dayadge country
219 Posts
Are you using the same ground wire as the TPS when you test it? Or are you connecting your meter to another ground?

·
this is dayadge country
219 Posts
could be a ground issue... with your meter check the resistance between the black/light blue wire going to the TPS and the battery negative. i just checked it on my truck and it was under 1 ohm.

·
Unregistered User
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Hate to resurrect this old thread, But the Durango has been sitting for months until i can figure this out. Is there a list out there somewhere of the proper ground points for this tranny ? I am thinking it may be electrical.

I did get to take it to a shop and they pulled codes and there was not a single tranny code. Just the o2 sensor codes that i already knew about. ( cut wires on the front o2 sensor) Not a major repair. Just cant justify more time or money invested until i know if this thing can run or not.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts