Dakota Durango Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
139 Posts
Certainly can't hurt. Heat is the #1 killer of automatic trannys.

The most efficiant cooler out there is the B&M stacked plate design...clicky

:biggthump
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
139 Posts
The 9800 BTU when run in a series with your stock cooler would be sufficient.

Remember to install it in the return line from the cooler in the radiator for best results.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
MoparREVolution said:
Don't forget not to have your truck ON in PARK for long periods of time, because the fluid doesn't circulate....which heats up and leads to D-A-M-A-G-E!

I found this out first hand. :cussing:
This..I did not know. Thanks for the tip and heads up. Sounds like some poor design engineering.

Bud
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
374 Posts
MoparREVolution said:
Don't forget not to have your truck ON in PARK for long periods of time, because the fluid doesn't circulate....which heats up and leads to D-A-M-A-G-E!

I found this out first hand. :cussing:
As long as the flexplate is turning the torque converter nose is turning the oil pump drive gear, and fluid is circulating.

Heat is the number one killer, but the number 2 killer to me is dumbasses that dont take there vehicle out of OD when there launching whether in towing or drag racing, nice to see burnt OD clutches. Oh and I always run the radiator cooler and the external cooler (there is a certain way to route it) and a fan on the external.
 

·
G.F.Y racing president
Joined
·
9,424 Posts
i got mine stright to a cooler and thats it. and yes, in this situation, the bigger the cooler the better. the more surface area you have for this cooler, helps to cool the fluid better. also keep in mine the type of cooler too. those universal pep boy cooler are ok, but you want the stacked type. they seem to do a more efficient cooling job.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
32 Posts
So studlybilly what is the correct way to route the two coolers together??? I am looking to do this before I start towing since my truck didnt come with a tow package.... So give me a heads up on the right way and possibly some pics or diagrams for a little help. Thanks
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
374 Posts
robertvinnie said:
So studlybilly what is the correct way to route the two coolers together??? I am looking to do this before I start towing since my truck didnt come with a tow package.... So give me a heads up on the right way and possibly some pics or diagrams for a little help. Thanks
Well the route from the tranny is always in the bottom out the top, so you will want to run from the top port of the tranny into the bottom port of your radiator cooler, then from the top port of your radiator cooler into the bottom of the external cooler, from the top of the external cooler into the bottom tranny port. If that makes any sense :biggthump
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
374 Posts
realdeal7369 said:
i got mine stright to a cooler and thats it. and yes, in this situation, the bigger the cooler the better. the more surface area you have for this cooler, helps to cool the fluid better. also keep in mine the type of cooler too. those universal pep boy cooler are ok, but you want the stacked type. they seem to do a more efficient cooling job.
Yes, but I merely run a 6 core by 12 or so inches wide (discount auto parts stuff) with a fan on the external and with 3500 stall I never see over 185* (borederline idea is 180*).
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
139 Posts
studlybilly said:
Well the route from the tranny is always in the bottom out the top, so you will want to run from the top port of the tranny into the bottom port of your radiator cooler, then from the top port of your radiator cooler into the bottom of the external cooler, from the top of the external cooler into the bottom tranny port. If that makes any sense :biggthump

Or more simply put, Install the cooler in the line that returns the fluid to the trans from the radiator cooler.

The idea is to futher cool the fluid that has already passed through the stock cooler.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
374 Posts
beeper said:
Or more simply put, Install the cooler in the line that returns the fluid to the trans from the radiator cooler.

The idea is to futher cool the fluid that has already passed through the stock cooler.
But most people will not know its the top. At least thats how it should be routed to help bleed air out of the system.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,816 Posts
I'm all for keeping the tranny cooler during the summer but during the winter I would like it to warm up faster just as I would like the engine to warm up faster. If you live in a northern climate you might find yourself wanting to cover up that extra cooler. In sub zero driving I cover the entire front of the radiator and it barely reaches typical summer driving temperatures.
 

·
People suck.
Joined
·
341 Posts
I bypassed my stock (in the radiator) cooler and mounted this one from this guy. Works great so far. I especially like the thermal bypass that comes with it. If the fluid is not up to operating temp, it bypasses the cooler and sends it straight back to the trans.

While I was in there, I installed an auxiliary filter.
Here are some pics of my cooler
 
1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top