Dakota Durango Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
According to my factory book, my R/T can only tow 2000 lbs. Is that just on the bumper or does the rating go up with a frame hitch? I need to tow another car but I'm afraid to use this thing......

·
Sideways on Sundays
8,064 Posts
The rear suspension on our R/T's is not really set up for towing. The problem is the soft rear leaf springs. Personally, I woulndn't do it unless it was only a mile or two on side streets.

·
Premium Member
12,185 Posts
Homeslice said:
According to my factory book, my R/T can only tow 2000 lbs. Is that just on the bumper or does the rating go up with a frame hitch? I need to tow another car but I'm afraid to use this thing......
The 2000# rating is off the OEM bumper. If you install a class 3/4/5 hitch the rating will improve but you should still be careful not to tow too much without helper springs/etc.

·
Happy 4th of July!
47,199 Posts
Make sure your tires are up to the job too. I know there are ALOT of 17" tires that are NOT rated for much more than the trucks weight. Obvious things too, make sure they are near the max PSi rating while towing... This way they don't wear out so fast :biggthump

·
Registered
498 Posts
YellaDakRT said:
Class 4 is good to 10K (the hitch atleast) I doubt you'd find anything other than a 3 (7500 if I rember correctly). My Cummins had a 5, I think those are 13000 or so. :biggthump
Class I 2,000 WT Carrying, 200 Max Tongue WT

Class II 3,500 WT Carrying, 300 Max Tongue WT

Class III 6,000 WT Distributing, 600 Max Tongue WT, 3,500 WT Carrying, 300 Max Tongue Weight

Class IV 10,000 WT Distributing, 1,000 Max Tongue WT, 5,000 WT Carrying, 500 Max Tongue Weight

Class V Heavy Duty 12,000 WT Distributing, 1,200 Max Tongue WT, 8,000 WT Carrying, 800 Max Tongue Weight
:wave:

·
LGP
1,781 Posts
Ok just adding to your post, my 2000 Rt had the helper airbags in the rear when i bought it. Im about to be moving from north dakota back to texas, and will have to haul an 8 foot inclosed behind it, to haul my dirtbike, tools, gear, cloths, and all my other crap. Now my question is, one will the truck be able to make the 1300 mile trip, and two, one of my helper bags is blown, were can i buy a replacement. Oh yeah the truck already has a reciever hitch on it. I used to pull a 6 foot 3 rail with a banshee, and 2 bikes in the bike of my 99 dakota sport, and it didnt have much of a problem, however those were only 150 mile trips,not 1300. Just curious what you guys think.

·
Registered
95 Posts
I use my 2000 R/T CC to tow my race car trailer. I put a Draw-Tite class III hitch, a 3" drop turned upside-down, and Air/Lift air bags on it along with a brake controller. I have towed my 18' open deck with my 2900# Valiant all over the country. It pulls the trailer well, even at 85 mph across Nebraska. :drive:

DO NOT even think about pulling a trailer w/o trailer brakes and air bags. My trailer would put the truck down on the bumpers empty. :rant:

It is also very sensitive to tongue weight. If I put the car too far forward the truck rides like a hay rack. Too far back and it drives like a snake. :banana2:

·
Registered
19 Posts
You should also get a transmission cooler if you have an automatic transmission. Heat kills automatic transmissions and towing causes heat.

·
Wicked 99 RT
410 Posts
We estimated about 8000lb trailer weight....but there wasnt too much weight on the tongue. When I loaded the trailer, I would distribute the weight to get just the right amount of tongue weight. Too much tongue weight and you look at the sky...not enough and the trailer you are pulling that is larger than your truck takes control and pulls you off the road.

·
Registered
103 Posts
I hauled an 86 Ford Bronco Fullsize and 18 foot trailer on my 01 Ranger Edge 4x4 with a 4.0. Surely if she can haul that bitch 300 miles at 80 miles an hour, then surely a Dak won't have any trouble...Right?

·
Registered
6 Posts
towing with a R/T

I have a 98 RT club cab, have been towing 22 ft. Nomad 5th wheel for 8 years. The only thing you have to do is install helper springs on the back half of your rear springs. You can get them through J.C. Whitney. I contacted the factory several times and got the run around. I can assure you there will be absolutely no problems.

P.S. Loaded my trailer weighs 5500 lbs.
I also tow in very mountainous areas.

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
Well i own a 00 Durango R/T. I have a Class III hitch on mine. I pull my Double Axle Car Hauler atleast twice a month. With my racecar, or midsized cars on it being im in the auto repair buisness. I have no problems at all. I would think having the 5.9's power and torque helps out alot. When in town i shut off the O/D and if going up a grade i downshift. I have no problems at all.

·
Registered
3,844 Posts
My buddy has a RT and he tows his race car and boat all over the place. All he did was ask me to install a air bag system ( hes mechanically incompetent)
other than that he tows just fine and hasnt had any problems. the boat is a 19 foot sea ray open bow mabey 3000 pound boat and his race car is mabey 3500)

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.