Dakota Durango Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I understand the towing package on the 2000 4.7 dodge durango comes with a 3-speed transmission. Am I right? If this is so, am I justified trying to get more HP out of my durango, or will it be pointless because of the transmission? I would greatly appreciate any help on this one.

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
hosre power is always good, but torque is better for towing .

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I guess what I'm trying to say is...

Is the three-speed going to limit the performance of my durango once I reach a certain HP rating?

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
you do have a 3 speed . but you have overe drive , correct ? because all the R/Ts are auto 3-speed w/overdrive.Yes,the 3 speed will limit perfomance if you plan on reaching over 500 or 600 horses,other wise you should be ok.the only thing that would limit performance in yours or any durango is thewieght. hope that answers your question.:D

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for your help. Yeah, I forgot to mention the overdrive. I love my durango. I want to beef up the performance a little more, but one of my friends said the 3-speed with the towing package will reduce the amount of horsepower and torque to the wheels. But now I know. Thank you again.

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
jensfossen said:
I understand the towing package on the 2000 4.7 dodge durango comes with a 3-speed transmission. Am I right? If this is so, am I justified trying to get more HP out of my durango, or will it be pointless because of the transmission? I would greatly appreciate any help on this one.
The 2000 4.7L Durango comes with a 4 speed automatic with overdrive. It was new for 2000, and only came with the 4.7 V8. It has TWO second gear ratios.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts