Dakota Durango Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Did any 1st gen Durangos come with factory tow hooks? If so, does anyone have pics of where they mount?

Otherwise, did any of you add any tow hooks? I don't really see an easy way to mount any on my 02 SXT without cutting the bumper cover.

Thanks.

·
Banned
8,203 Posts
Gen III Dakotas and Durangos didn't come with tow hooks from the factory. There are two easy ways to mount them though.

If you vehicle doesn't have a bodylift, you can make a drop-down bracket for them to come through the factory openings for them. If your airdam doesn't have these openings, you can get one that does, or cut yours up. Either way, they'll need to come out the airdam.

If you have a 3" bodylift, you can make them come below the airdam. This is what I did. The stick about 1/2 way out, and are pretty much invisible unless you're underneath the truck. You can see how I did it here:

http://photobucket.com/albums/v126/YellowKota2k/Tow hook install/

·
Registered
250 Posts
hey man where did you get the tow hooks from? also do you have any detailed pics of your rock sliders?

·
Banned
8,203 Posts

·
Banned
8,203 Posts
I've got a couple of tow hook mounts, that just clamp on. They're cheap and they work. I stopped using them because they're a PITA to take on and off, especially since I go there a ton. I love my permanent mount, but these will work for a day for ya. If not, we can easily come up with something else...

·
Registered
18 Posts
Hooks for Gen III Dakotas

Here are some pictures of the hooks I installed. There is a 3" body lift and if you have the right bumper, they fit right through the holes. If I remember right, I took 2 4"x6" pieces of 1/4" steel, drilled two holes in the frame and four in the steel. I paid $5 for 10,000 lb. rated hooks at a swap meet. I used grade 8 bolts from Ace Hardware for the frame mounting and used the grade five bolts (came with the hooks) for the hooks. The reasoning behind this is you want the hooks to shear off their bolts before the grade 8's tear through the frame.

Attachments

·
Registered
488 Posts
"If you vehicle doesn't have a bodylift, you can make a drop-down bracket for them to come through the factory openings for them."

How do you make a drop down bracket? Any Pics.. I don't have the equipment for this,but do like the look. Any Suggestions?

Out here.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I used a piece of steel angle, similar idea to the pics above, except one leg of the angle mounts to the side of the frame, and the hook is mounted to the other leg (comes through bumper just like the pics above), grade 8 bolts from home depot, same deal. Of coarse, I am in the construction business, so the steal is easy to come by for me. For others, just go to a welding or fab shop, ask for scrap pieces, should be cheap or free.

·
Registered
331 Posts
I've got a 3" BL as well but decided to mount my hook a little farther back.

My line of thinking is was that it mihgt be a little safer since it left a good 2 inches of steel between the edge of the foward hole and where the frame ends in the front. I'm not sure if it really makes any real difference or not, but it makes me feel better. Plus there is an added bonus, I didn't have to cut up my bumnper or add plates to make it stick out farther.

:biggthump

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.