Dakota Durango Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2005 Durango 4.7 Magnum. A couple of weeks ago the SUV started on its own and shut off. A couple of hours later I went to leave and using the key it started and shut off 4 times and then nothing. It has a viper remote start on the SUV and nothing works. I changed the starter and checked all the fuses and relays and everything is good and everything has power and the starter still won't do anything. Does anyone have any idea's?

·
C'mon Dodge - NEW DAKOTA
2003 Dakota Club Cab Sport 4.7L
153 Posts
Why on earth would you change the starter? You KNOW that works. Pull the damn Viper.

·
Registered
2 Posts
It's the alarm system. Had the same problem with my s.u.v. It's not recognizing the key that you're using to start it sometimes and locking it out of the system temporarily. Mine does this every few months but usually only when it's cold outside for some reason but never starts on its own. So I have 2 keys, when it does this I use the other and it works fine. It's crazy b/c both are programmed the same and for this vehicle. Then I have one that's only supposed to unlock the car and not programmed at all but sometimes it will start the car as well!! Have spent money at the dealership and of course they can't find anything wrong with the system. So, I just keep 2 keys with me at all times now so that it'll start either way.

·
Registered
1 Posts
It could be the alarm system. But you said it starts and then shuts off which is the exact same issue I had with my 2000 Durango which also has a 4.7. I'm not sure if all the years of the 4.7 were the exact same, but the cause of my issue was a dirty idle air control valve. If you pull that and clean it, it may take care of your problem.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts