Dakota Durango Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last month I was in a accident with my 1996 Dodge Dakota Sport, a young lady pulled out in front of my as I was reaching a crossroad, she stopped at the stop sign and I figured everything was good, but to my horror she proceeded. I had no place go, it was either hit her directly in the drivers door or swerve, which I did and as soon as I did the impact occurred.

It took the entire front end of her car off, spun me into a 360 twice, went across the road and took a guys mailbox, flower boxes and dug trenches across his entire yard.

The impact was hard enough to open my passenger side door and the entire contents went flying out the door, my tailgate came open and everything in the back flew out also. I'm retired so I do a lot of odd jobs, so everything from shovels, to leaf blower, to weed whacker was all over this guy's yard, looked like a bomb went off.

Thank God no one was hurt except my poor Dakota, it took the entire right side of my truck, from the front fender to the box. Good old Michigan no fault insurance, I got $1000 torte with $6300 worth of damage. IMAG0115.jpg

IMAG0114.jpg

·
Registered
1 Posts
Mine to!

Hi! All My 2001 Dakota R/T as totaled last week by Ins. Adjuster not a scratch on it . daughter in-law hit water on pavement lost control went in a ditch 32" deep on drivers side. every one OK! That's the main thing. been working on the electrics for over a week now everything running except remote entry on key fob.:frown: Joe100

·
9,489 Posts
Last month I was in a accident with my 1996 Dodge Dakota Sport, a young lady pulled out in front of my as I was reaching a crossroad, she stopped at the stop sign and I figured everything was good, but to my horror she proceeded. I had no place go, it was either hit her directly in the drivers door or swerve, which I did and as soon as I did the impact occurred.

It took the entire front end of her car off, spun me into a 360 twice, went across the road and took a guys mailbox, flower boxes and dug trenches across his entire yard.

The impact was hard enough to open my passenger side door and the entire contents went flying out the door, my tailgate came open and everything in the back flew out also. I'm retired so I do a lot of odd jobs, so everything from shovels, to leaf blower, to weed whacker was all over this guy's yard, looked like a bomb went off.

Thank God no one was hurt except my poor Dakota, it took the entire right side of my truck, from the front fender to the box. Good old Michigan no fault insurance, I got $1000 torte with $6300 worth of damage. View attachment 87241

View attachment 87249
That sucks, but Michigan or not, that is not $6300 worth of damage. You can't do $6300 worth of damage to a truck that's only worth $1200.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah, I know that the truck is not worth that much, the young lady that caused all of this, her insurance company required that I get an estimate in order receive the torte.
Besides that I can't seem to find anywhere to get any used parts, so out of all this, I'm the one that gets screwed out of good truck, what's a $1000 bucks buy you now days.

·
9,489 Posts
I don't understand this 'no fault' thing. I realize it's supposed to cut down on injury lawsuits (we had tort waivers in NJ too, basically in exchange for giving up your right to sue, you got a discount).. But when someone runs a stop sign (therefore is AT FAULT in the accident), why is their insurance company not required to 'make you whole' (ie: put you in a replacement vehicle of equal or better age, features, and mileage) like is required in literally every other state? When you cause an accident, the damage to another vehicle and its contents is considered 'property damage', and counts against your liability just like the repairs to the guy's fence, mailbox, and yard.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes, this No Fault insurance really sucks, the only way I could of sued her was if she had no insurance at all, the torte is designed to give something to help cover the cost of your lost, which didn't help much, not only was my truck totaled, I had to pay for the equipment that was in the back of the truck to be repaired.

But, the biggest thing, if I could of sued her, that doesn't guarantee you will ever see the money.A person can get a judgement against someone but if they are broke and don't have a job, or any real property, your just SOL!! So I guess the $1000 bucks was better than a kick in the Balls!! But in this case I think the Kick in the Balls would of been easier to take.

·
9,489 Posts
You shouldn't HAVE to sue. She had insurance and she caused property damage by running said stop sign. Her insurance should pay to fix that property damage. That's how it works in every other state. So basically what you're saying is it doesn't matter if you're in a $1,200 beater or a $65,000 Hellcat, if someone violated a traffic control device and smashed into you, you'd only get $1,000 out of their insurance??? There's something seriously fucked up about that.

PS, it's tort, not torte. No "e". Torte is a delicious dessert.. :D :D

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yes, I agree, if I would had full coverage insurance my truck would have been taken care of, but with my truck being a 1996 no insurance company with let you buy full coverage.
Michigan's No fault insurance sucks, and on top of that , its one of the highest price insurance in the nation.
So, I'm stuck having to continue to drive it, The $1000 bucks sure as hell didn't buy me another vehicle, and with being on Social Security disability I can't afford to buy another.
I guess the only good thing that came out of all this that neither one of us was not hurt, I know if I had not swerved, I would hit your right in the driver's door, and with me going 55 mph, I'm sure she would have been hurt badly or worse. I sure as hell would rather have no truck then to have that on my mind.
What I have always believed in is if something doesn't kill you it makes you stronger.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts