Dakota Durango Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I just got re-indexed torsion keys and I am ready to install them. From what I have gathered there is an unloading tool that I need. The guys at advanced auto had no idea what I was talking about. I have also heared that you can just use a big c-clamp instead. Did any of you have to use special tools to swap keys? If so, what?

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Okay, just looked at the Haynes manual. All it says is to remove the adjustment bolt completely and then remove the torsion anchor (the key). I guess there is no tool needed.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I just lifted my Durango by replacing the torsion keys. You do need a tool to help get them off and put them back on. I suggest going to auto zone or advanced and ask for a 2 jaw five ton puller instead of the torsion key tool. Its not quite as useful as the actual tool but will get the job done. Do not use a big C clamp i snapped mine right in half as i unloaded the pressure on the torsion key.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I attempted to swap them today. Didnt get far. I did get a huge c-clamp to use and modified it already, so i cant take it back... Jacked it up, took the wheels off, and tried to unbolt the torsion keys by backing out the adjustment bolt to start. I soaked the keys twice before trying. With a huge ratchet and a four foot breaker bar it took thirty minutes just to get one turn on the drivers side. I am going to keep soaking them all this week and see what happens next weekend. If it wont budge by then, im just taking it to a shop.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
For anyone that was curious, 4 Wheel Parts only charges 65 dollars to install torsion keys. Regular shops dont even know what they are!!

·
Registered
41 Posts
Oh wow yours must have been seized pretty bad. Sorry i didn't get to you in time before you bought the c-clamp. But its good to know 4 Wheel Parts does it!

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yep. It will be nice to know it is done right, aligned and all. It would have been such a pain for me. I am satisfied paying them to take the hassle off my hands lol

1 - 7 of 7 Posts