Dakota Durango Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I just picked up a 2001 Dakota 4x4 quad cab with the purpose of pulling the 4.7 and auto and putting in a 3.9 Cummins 4BT with an NV4500 transmission. I wont know until finished but I think the motor will add just a bit over 200lbs to chassis and the transmission should add around another 100lbs. I am concerned about the stock torsion bars and if they are going to be up to the added weight. So I am looking for suggestions as to how to deal with the weight. has any one added a really heavy bumper / winch or a plow to their truck? How did the stock bars handle the weight? I looked around for a while but could not find a supplier for upgraded torsion bars. Does any one know if someone makes a heavy duty bar or am I stuck with the stockers? I know I can crank them up a bit to compensate for height but it is more the weight I am afraid of.

Thanks for the help

·
Up then Down then Up then
1,802 Posts
Don't worry about it. They'll handle it fine. The 3.9 (4BT) weighs about the same as the 5.9 V8 which came as an option for the dakota. If anything give the torsion bars a few cranks and you'll be set.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.