Dakota Durango Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 99 5.9 Durango 2WD periodically seems to unlock the torque converter lock-up feature causing the RPM to go up. This only happens when in cruise control in O/D at hiway speeds, about once every 2 or 3 minutes. No other symptoms or speedometer fluctuations, just the RPM indicator and slight surge. Throttle pressure is steady when this happens, so I doubt it is the throttle position sensor or the cruise control servo. Does this mean my PCM is dying? A bad vehicle speed sensor? Some other input to the PCM? I do not want to go to dealership for shotgun troubleshooting...and a new PCM unless that is the only option. I am afraid this condition will damage my transmission. Can that happen? Can the PCM command the wrong clutch packs at the wrong times and burn it up? Thanks for any advice....Mr.Bill

·
Registered
2,201 Posts
throttle pressure doesn't have anything to do with it. sounds like your TBS is going bad. see rpm's are flux'n right. the throttle body sensor is on the right side of your throttle body closest to your fire wall. $30 for a new one. I think they want $60 at the dealer. hope this helps. easy to change. two bolts, plug and play. good luck

rock

·
I rage, therefore I am.
80 Posts
Yep. I had the exact same problem on my '01 4.7L. I changed the Throttle Position Sensor and it is solid as a rock now. On the highway in cruise, it will even downshift to 3rd and back to 4th now without unlocking the converter. And it seems to shift better in general. I just averaged 19.3 MPG for a 250 mile round trip only half of which was on the highway.

Good luck! :)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Wahoo!

Boy am I glad I found this! We have had the same problem with our '00 Dodge Durango as Mr. Bill....except, because we bought a warranty when we bought the vehicle last year, we started with a transmission check at AAMCO (only cuz it was covered under the warranty) and they couldn't find anything. So we took it to the dealer (only cuz it was covered under the warranty) in May. In June we took off to Virigina Beach and had the SAME problem down and back. So, in July we take it back to the dealer and they claimed it was bad plug wires. NOT! In August we went on a weekend trip and guess what? It happened again. This time we take it to an independent mechanic who tells us it is the torque converter but he doesn't fix transmissions, so back to AAMCO we go. They replaced the selanoid. This past weekend we go on another weekend trip and guess what???Yep, it happened again. Can you spell F-R-U-S-T-R-A-T-E-D??? So at 7:30 a.m. we are on the AAMCO doorstep with the manager shaking his head. Then I decide to check this website for "torque converter" and I find this info. What a relief. We faxed the info to AAMCO and they are (along with us) relieved to have an identity to this *&^% problem!!! So, much time, energy and money (approx. $1,200 total...w/only $150 covered by warranty) have been spent on this problem. Thank you, thank you for posting the problem and the resolution here!!!!

·
Registered
2,201 Posts
welcome to the boards cb0024. hope that fix helped you too. too bad you didn't find us prior to shelling out all that $$$$

1 - 5 of 5 Posts