Dakota Durango Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was just wondering if any one knows what the top speed of a 99 R/T with out the speed limiter, also with out any mods.

·
One of the Elite
1,736 Posts
Top Speed

The top speed from the factory, If I am not mistaken, should be 115 in a 360. If you put the Mopar PCM in, it cranks it up to 135.

~CYCLONE_06

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yeah my top speed right now is 110, i was just wondering, because i recently went to cali with my boss in vette and his friend brought his acura nsx, and while we were " cruising " out there we hit about 165mph a few times. that made me think, that if i had took my truck would i have been able to keep up some what, if i had no speed limiter, but i appriciate your help man thanks

·
One of the Elite
1,736 Posts
No Prob

No Problemo man. Glad I could help. The way I see it though, is that top speed really doesnt matter. If you beat someone to about 100 mph, its over. You dont typically go much faster than that in a quarter mile, unless you are driving a 1000 horsepower or more NHRA car.

As far as I know, the fastest street machines from the factory are the Corvette and the Lightning. I have also heard a Lightning can smoke a vette, but I cannot tell ya for certain.

Do you have a 5.9, and are you interested in making it a monster ? If so, I can hook you up with a man that will sell you some major mods, for about a third of their true price. I can vouch for it, because I just got it all.

~Wayne

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i was just wondering about top speed, but i do have 5.9 and i would love to make it a monster, but i dont have the money right now to really do anything, so i just dream on........ :snooze:

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Re: Top Speed

CYCLONE_06 said:
The top speed from the factory, If I am not mistaken, should be 115 in a 360. If you put the Mopar PCM in, it cranks it up to 135.

~CYCLONE_06
Mopar PCM actually just eliminates the top speed altogether. The BG flash for 2001+ daks is 125 and if you beg nicely Dave may make it 135 for you.

troy b.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Re: No Prob

CYCLONE_06 said:
As far as I know, the fastest street machines from the factory are the Corvette and the Lightning. I have also heard a Lightning can smoke a vette, but I cannot tell ya for certain.

Do you have a 5.9, and are you interested in making it a monster ? If so, I can hook you up with a man that will sell you some major mods, for about a third of their true price. I can vouch for it, because I just got it all.

~Wayne
Lightning will have a lot of trouble smoking a Vette if both are stock. there are a lot of fast production cars out so there is no point even saying which one is the fastest. i would go with a Viper SRT-10 for the fastest IMO but i am prolly a little biased in my opinion. :p

Wayne i wouls love to be introduced toyour friend and what are the "major mods" you speak of??

troy b.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Re: No Prob

~Wayne [/B]

I have a 1999 5.9 R/T. What all can you get for cheap and who is the guy selling the stuff? thanks,

-Matt

·
One of the Elite
1,736 Posts
Fatmat Pm Me

Hey Bud, shoot me a pm, and we can talk about some parts.

~Wayne

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
vette lighting

I havent seen the new 385hp 2004 lightnings yet, but i raced a new one at a drag strip. He turned a [email protected] I highly doubt he was stock either. I was under the impression they do 13.5-13.8 stock while a Vette should do 12.9-13.1 with good driving.

·
Blown and Squirted
3,407 Posts
what about the 03+ cobras, they are neck and neck with the vette depending on driver it could go either way, but the cobra is $10-15k cheaper and easier to make even faster. Not to mention they have a back seat, and look better arguably.

·
Likes More Power!
282 Posts
Top speed...

Seems an interesting concept seeing as how these trucks are more of a "brick" than a "wedge" up front. I'm prepping my TA for open road racing in Nevada (one of these years anyway) and it seems like if you could lower the truck you would stand a much better chance of high speed w/ that key factor of stability. My car is lowered 1"+/- up front and it is a challenge driving it on the street due to low hanging exhaust & plumbing.

After shoehorning a 383 w/ Procharger into the TA, I like the concept of having an engine BAY and large frontal area for an oil cooler / intercooler. :)

If our '98 does not sell, it seems like a good candidate for a supercharged 406 to me . I reckon this would do 135 OK. :D

EDIT: What is a Lightning or a Cobra? I've only seen these in my rear view mirrors... :p

·
Registered
3,607 Posts
Porsche 911 Turbo will put the hurt on anything that you put next to it.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Porsche 911 Turbo Sucks!

The new Viper SRT-10 would kick its tail end. Just in case the Porsche could win because there is a 3rd grader driving the viper. The 1968 Hemi Dart with an automatic trans. ran a stock 1/4 mile time of [email protected]
:woowoo: :sorry: :wave: :banana2: :drive: :bs2: :drool: :clap2:

·
Registered
388 Posts
porsche carerra gt would wipe the floor with the aforementioned cars top end...bottom end, side end except that dart but this will probably run circles around it on a track with turns and look better doing so from any angle (i'm sure that comment will raise eyebrows lol) :jester: . Runs low 11s stock but costs 4 times as much as a viper so go figure.

http://www.rsportscars.com/eng/cars/carrera_gt.asp

saw one on the road the other day which is a pretty rare sight i guess, that car is awesome.

oh yeah i think my truck falls on it's face from a roll above 70 but i have hit that 115 mph cut off just to see if it really existed before.

·
Banned
7,625 Posts
The Mopar Perfromance PCM takes the speed limiter off totally. You can hit about 147mph in a 5.9 with the 4x4 4speed tranny in OD.

·
Happy 4th of July!
47,199 Posts
CYCLONE_06 said:
I have also heard a Lightning can smoke a vette, but I cannot tell ya for certain.
Hehehe, Stock C5 (none ZO6) and Stock 01 Lightning... I had him from 120-140ish.... We where dead even from 80-120, and he beat me to 80 by... well... alot

·
Registered
165 Posts
the mopar pcm takes out the top speed limiter. Have it in my 2000 R/T and the guy on the dyno forgot to take my overdrive off, he had it up to 165 @ 4500 rpms. so it had a little more in it to go yet. then he realized that it was in overdrive and backed off. It was pretty cool to see my truck up to 165 makes me wanna do it on the street against a vette or something.

·
Registered
119 Posts
I've raced a 68 Dart many times. and it doesn't do anywhere near a 10.5. My friend has one and I've lost count after all the time's we've ran his Dart and my Camaro. I pull out a 13.6 and it's dead even when we both launch right.

http://www.musclecargarage.com/50fastestmusclecars.html

1 - 20 of 30 Posts