Dakota Durango Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5,697 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Need a security system!!! What do you have?

I need a security system. I tried searching but not finding the kind of info I need. I will be installing it myself, but I am plenty capable.

I need:

Remote start
auto paging
proximity sensor (motion)
tilt sensor
current sensing (of course)
remote locks
backup power system

What system will do all this? I need something right away, and I refuse to pay a shop $700 to install something like this...

·
I bleev u have mai staplr
3,954 Posts
Can't think of anything off the top of my head that has all/most of that stuff for under $700 installed! Mine has the paging, with proximity sensing, auto arm/disarm, and window roll-up, but not down. It has a few auxilary outputs that you could use to remotely roll the windows down, but nothing with temp. I don't see why you would want that, what if it's really hot out, but pouring? You wouldn't want your windows to be rolling down by themselves. I only paid $150 through work for mine, but that's with me installing it to.

Some tips when installing:
- Solder Connections! This way there's much less chance of failure.

- Loom and/or tape all bundles of wires. The more you conceil wires,the harder it is for somone looking to disarm the alarm to track them.

- Hide the main unit! Don't just throw it up under the dash like a starter. In the drivers kick panel on our trucks is a perfect place to mount it. As long as you wrap some hockey tape around all the wires going to and from it it looks like factory wires going into the kick. Very hard to tell anything is there.

- Use door pins, NOT the light under the dash for your door trigger! Our trucks have a delay of 30 or so seconds on the dome lights. Most alarms have a 15-20 second "Door open" reminder or alarm trigger. Which means you have to wait 10-15 seconds before you can arm your alarm or else the alarm will go off.

- Use the supplied siren, plus your factory horn! This makes it harder for somone to just cut the sound. The siren is louder than the car horn, but the vehicle horn is hard to find and cut because there is usally 2 seperate horns.

- Hide the siren! I hid mine inside the inner fender under the hood, its hard to find,and I loomed the wires so you can hardy tell where they go to. Make sure you face the horn DOWN so no rain or moisture gets trapped.

- Backup battery. Use a small 12 volt rechargable battery and hide it as a backup, that way if they open the hood and unhook the battery the alarm will still function. Make sure you have a disconnect for it, or diode isolate the + wire from the main battery. That way it will still charge, but if you need to disconnect the main battery for maintainance the power won't backfeed and fry something your working on.

Can't think of anything else right now. Maybe somone else will have some helpful tips.

GOOD LUCK!! :clap2:

·
Registered
5,697 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I just came back from Car Toys on my lunch break. I looked at the Clifford Matrix R35. That system, adding proximity, tilt, key bypass and backup battery, he quoted me a tad over $600, uninstalled. I would prefer to do it myself, and I'll save a little money.

How does that sound, pricewise, and is there somewhere online I can find it cheaper?

·
7,610 Posts
heres is what i got, and the price wasnt for everyone, $250, DEI alarm 2 way pager, 2 remotes, alarm led, siren, auto start, alarm, works on interior light and if it gets bumped into. installed. still wished i wouldve went with the viper, all the same but longer distance on remotes and at $350.

·
Banned
8,203 Posts
BlackDak said:

They suck, every one of them. Go with a higher model DEI and you won't regret it. They're higher priced for a reason.

·
I bleev u have mai staplr
3,954 Posts
BlackDak said:
You were supposed to say "any one of those would be great!" Oh well, kind of what I expected...!
Ha ha Yeah those don't seem like th best, they are all fancy, but nothing really quality

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.