Dakota Durango Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Just Getting Started
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking to get a toolbox for my quad cab but I am not sure where I can get the kind I want. I was wondering if anyone here had a box that doesn't hang over the lip of the bed. I want one that sits right behind the back window but that either sits level or below the bed height. Does such a thing exist? And if so, where could I get one?

·
Registered
5,697 Posts
If you find one like that, it will be a generic fit, and not a snug fit like you are surely hoping! You'll likely have to secure it by bolting it to the bottom of the bed.

I have been looking for a bed box as well, and it's hard enough to find a normal one for our Quad Cabs! The wheel well is too far forward in our beds, so there are clearance issues with most boxes.

·
Getting Old
5,037 Posts
u dont want it over the rails? Your probably gonna have to find one thats actually made for a smaller truck so it sits between the bed walls and probably even ur wheel wells, like BlackDak said, ur QCs have too short of a bed to get anything into em. A over the rail box would look better IMO though.

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
i used to have a craftsman that sat in the bed. i bolted it to the bed and like also said before i had bout 3 inches clearance between the bed and the box on both sides. think i ordered it from sears for $271
it also sat level with the bed rails in height.

·
Mike
1,683 Posts
Theres a local guy here that has one that only sticks up about an inch above the rails, it goes out onto them but it looks real sporty.

·
Getting Old
5,037 Posts
heres my dads on his old 1500, as soon as he gets his Ryno Liner in his 2005 1500, hes dropping that box in it. I think Over the Rail is definitely the way to go, i think it looks better, plus usually theyre bigger, so u can fit more stuff. He keeps like four fishing poles, tackle boxes, chairs, and like two shovels and a axe in there and he still has room for lunch on the weekends.

·
Just Getting Started
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the suggestions guys. The reason I don't want it hanging over the sides is because I am also looking to get a lightbar/bedrail combo. I wouldn't be able to have both unless the toolbox was held completely in the bed. I really don't need a whole lot of room. I am actually wanting it to store snowboarding gear for this winter. I will need the cab for my buddies. I will get dimensions and look around though. Thanks again.

·
Registered
498 Posts
I git mine from Auto Zone for about $159.00. Its a low profile and only sticks up about 1 1/2". I painted it with some black rubber coating to reduce the glare off it. Had to beat the corners with a hammer down about an inch so they didnt touch the wheel wells. Works great for what I have in it (hitch, recovery gear, water, socket set, and other misc tools.)

·
Just Getting Started
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Chris4x4 do you have any close up pics of the box? Like from the bed, inside the box, and from the side of truck? That sounds like something I could live with. If you don't mind posting them.

·
Registered
498 Posts
jtaylor42 said:
Chris4x4 do you have any close up pics of the box? Like from the bed, inside the box, and from the side of truck? That sounds like something I could live with. If you don't mind posting them.
I'll try to post them. If I cant, I can e-mail some to you.

·
July Truck of the Month
8,227 Posts
Here is a pic of Chris4x4's toolbox, I'll see if I can dig up a better pic :biggthump

·
July Truck of the Month
8,227 Posts
Here's a better one

·
Registered
498 Posts
Thanks Rich! You da man!

·
Registered
498 Posts
BlackDak said:
That looks nice. I don't recall, maybe I haven't read the entire thread... do we know what brand/model it is?
Who are you asking?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.