Dakota Durango Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Work Truck
547 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I've done some research. I believe that to maximize my truck's traction on and off road I'll go from the stock 215/75 R15 Goodyear Wranglers to 255/70/ R15 Bridgestone Dueler A/T D693 with UNI-T. They have excellent reviews and look pretty bad ass. If anyone has feedback on my decision or opinions on the tires it would be greatly appreciated. I plan to get the tires right before winter hits and hopefully will have a 2 inch suspension lift by then. If I'm not mistaken however they should fit fine without the lift. Correct?

-1998 Dodge Dakota 3.9 Liter V6 2wd

·
Work Truck
547 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Well I guess no one has any feedback but maybe on this. Went to a Town Fair Tire and the asked the guy for something to fill the wheel wells. Told him I was thinking 255/70/15's and he told me he would sell them to me but wouldn't install them cause they would screw up the speedo and abs. I know the speedo would be off by 2.9 miles per hour. However the abs? Come on the tires are all of 1.36 inches bigger in diameter than the 215/75/15's I have on there. Is this guy a f**cking dumb ass or is he right that it'll screw up the antilock brake system? Better yet does anyone have experience with tires this big or bigger on a 2wd dak 1997 or later?

A

·
0 Posts
My boyfriend has these tires on his diesel pickup and they handle VERY well in the snow. They did, however, decrease his mileage by aboug 2mpg. I don't know if this is from the increase in size 265/75 to 285/75 or the increased traction, or a combination of the two. They seem to be wearing nicely, and are quiet on the highway.

·
Work Truck
547 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you very much for the feedback. I'm almost completely sure that these are the tires I'm going to be putting on next. However if anyone can answer my questions concerning the size increase that would be excellent. Just cause although I'd like some "not so pansy ass" tires on my truck, I also don't want to sacrifice safety.

·
Registered
498 Posts
I went up to 32's on my truck and the ABS is fine.......

·
Work Truck
547 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Well I'm an Idiot. Just realized my rims are 15x6. 255's won't fit unless I get wider rims correct? Guess I'll settle for the 235's as I don't believe there is a company that offers a light truck tire inbetween (A/Ts, M/Ts in my case...don't like the look of a sport tire no matter how unoffroad capable my truck is.) Thanks for the input anyway. Any tire recommendations would be great though.

·
July Truck of the Month
8,227 Posts
You could always buy my 16" rims off of me so you can ge tthe tires you want. I'm trying ot get rid of them

·
Work Truck
547 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
How much do you want for them?

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
Dude, what you need to do is find a set of take-offs from a dakota with the premium tire/wheel combo from the factory there out there you just have to find them i.e. ebay,dodge forums or local classifieds.expect to pay around 300-400 for a decent set but still the cheap way to go.

·
Registered
498 Posts
QuaTscH94 has a nice set of tires and wheels he's selling. They are the 16" wheels with 255/65's. They are in great shape and I think he only wants $250.00 for them. Im sure he will respond.

·
Work Truck
547 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
That's not a bad price...not very big tires but whatever. I want something thats gonna fill the wheel wells. Can't complain with that price though. I might keep looking around. However the 235's might be the better choice. Gas is up the 2.65 for 87 octane in Rhode Island. My dad told me to put tires from a totaled Ford Taurus on my truck. WTF! Parents don't understand I like my truck to look good. plus my odometer would speed up.

Actually...Anyone have pics of a 2wd gen III dak with 235/75/15's. That would be excellent.

·
Registered
498 Posts
The tires on the wheels Rich is selling are 10" wide (255mm) and 29" tall. They fill out the wheel wells nicely. They are the Primium wheel group for gen III Dakotas (2 wheel drive models). The 235/75-15's are 9.25" wide and 28" tall.

·
Work Truck
547 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The 235's are 28.87 inches in diameter. Being thin isn't a big deal as I do a lot of driving in the snow. Not quite as big, as I'd like to do a two inch lift in the front and one and a half inch lift in the back. However they are the most cost effective decision. That's why a picture would be great.

·
Registered
498 Posts
Send him a P.M. he posted pictures here before, but I cant remember where. I have seen the tires and wheels in person, and they are in great shape. I think there is only one wheel that has a scuff on the lip, other than that, they (and the center caps) are fine.

·
July Truck of the Month
8,227 Posts
Hey Chris thanks for referring me to here, I had no idea there was possible interest in my set of rims and tires.
Go HERE to see my thread about the tires and rims :biggthump

·
Work Truck
547 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Sorry man. Would love to put those rims on my truck. Problem is I'm goin' to college and have no money, plus I have a five lug set up, not six. Best of luck sellin em' though.

·
July Truck of the Month
8,227 Posts
You and I have the same problem bro :biggthump
Good luck to you too

·
Work Truck
547 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Does anyone have a pic of a gen III 2wd dodge dakota, stock height; with 235/75/R15's? Preferably off road tires, but anything would be awesome. Just want to know if they would look tougher than the small ass 215s I've got on it. Thanks.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts