Dakota Durango Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have 35's on my 01 dakota and i wanted to correct my speedo... so i look on hypertech's web site and it says that tire size is adjustable with the 01 kit 50006. i buy it and install it and there is no option to set tire size... wtf?? reading up on the website again i find some small print that states 01 rams are adjustable but only up to 00 dakotas are... has to do with abs pump brand i guess.... anyways anyone have a suggestion for fixing my speedo problem?? im thinking about gearing... anyone know how to figure what ratio gear set i would need to compensate the bigger tires???
-thanks -nick

J

·
0 Posts
The dealer may be able to fix your speedo, but mine wasn't able to. You can also try the Superlift TruSpeed Speed Signal Calibrator. I bought the Hypertech for my Durango and it worked for me. As for the gears, I think the max you can go is 4.56 which I would do. Since putting 4.56s and 35s my Durango has driven a ton better than with my old gears. It's by far the best money I have spent.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
who did you buy your gears thru and what did you pay???
do you have any part numbers??

J

·
0 Posts
I bought my gears from the place that installed them. I got 4.56 Precision gears and it ran me $1500 for everything. If you buy gears and bring them to somebody to install, most will not give you a warranty. Most of that price was for labor which was around $400 an axle. That was the cheapest I could find in my area, but others have gotten them ALOT cheaper. $1500 is alot, but it's worth every penny once you feel the difference.

·
Premium Member
9,131 Posts
you could go and pay to have your speedo calibrated it's only $20 here. which my lazy ass still has not made it down there yet to get it done. :rolleyes:

J

·
0 Posts
Where you gonna have your speedo re-calibrated? I talked to a Dodge dealership and they said that they couldn't do it on my 98 Durango. Not sure if they are full of crap, but I bought the Hypertech and it worked for me.

·
Premium Member
9,131 Posts
theres a guy in town here that does speedo calibrations in fact he's the only guy I don't think theres anybody else near me

and yes I'm just lazy but i try and keep it around 5 below. so if I go 65 i try to keep it around 60 cause I know I'm off over 5 problably closer to 10 :huh:

and it's nice to see you post whoring on here again Kaui :rofl:

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
i think ill do the gears, then see how much the speedo is off and have it calibrated. i drive past a speedo shop everyday on the way to work...

·
Registered
374 Posts
Is this Dak' your Daily Driver? If you read into gear swaps and studied the tools needed you'd figure out there no where near as difficult as there made out to be, there more time consumming than difficult. My only concern is will a stock front end hold under being locked? especially on 35's. From what I heard the 98's are good because they have a aluminum case d50 or something like that.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
yea its my daily driver but i beat on it pretty good offroad too. i have done gear swaps before so its not that big of a deal... i still havent found any info of a front locking device thou... also i have the lsd but with the 35's the thing is too weak to keep me locked up under much strain anyways... anyone have any recomendations on better rear lockers?? how are the auburn units??

1 - 11 of 11 Posts