Dakota Durango Forum banner

Tips for a Newbie?

2K views 15 replies 5 participants last post by  Misfit 
#1 ·
ok i have been reading this for hours now and starting to get kinda burned out lol. I have a 2000 club 4x4 with 4.7.
Ok So far I have bought a cold air kit, and a TBS that claims 16 HP and 20 ftlbs.. I read they are a waste but already bought it. I also have a thread asking about what to do with exhaust since I need new y pipe...My last Dakota (exactally same just dif color) I did the cold air and the si/do Gibson kit. Just lookin to up my gains this time for better towing power and better milage. Lookin to spend 800 0n exhaust...mabe headers, ?? new y and I read there is a si/do set on ebay for 150?
How much is the superchip programer?
Also truck is running warm just below 210 and not much hot air comming from heater. Flush and new t stat?
This is my DD so i dont want to dive too deep but what do you guys think?
Any tips and advice would be really apreciated.
Thanks,
Davis

#3 ·
I've always been told that Throttle Body Spacers are JUNK. I have never used one on a fuel injection vehicle, but, I did have a spacer on my 70 SS Nova, and you could tell a little difference, but that's a whole different animal.

#4 ·
it depends on the engine, but for the most part a spacer is junk. on the 4.7 it is worthless.

there is a thread on here about backflushing the heater core. try that first before you go replacing parts.

superchips 3715 is around 300 and a good investment, although it will be more noticible after some more mods are done first.

#5 ·
Yes it looks like I wasted 105 bucks on the spacer.. How can they claim 16 HP on the dyno?
I am planning on upgrading the exhaust and getting cold air intake... What other mods should i do before getting the superchip? Is the superchip 3715 programable?
Thanks,
Davis

#7 ·
if you aren't looking to do a crazy amount of mods on your truck, then get high flow cat(s) and a good cat back. as for the superchips, you can find them for pretty cheap now, i picked mine up from another member for $150.

#8 ·
Yes i already bought the TBS off ebay its on its way to me.. not sure of return policy. The car threw code p0420 ineficient cat. So i reset the computer if it doesnt throw the code again in the next day or so i plan to cut off the cat just after the Y and replace it with a 3" free flow cat and then full 3 inch muffler and tail pipe. What do you guys prefer,,,flowmaster? Magnaflow? Whats the est cheapest 3 inch setup? dont wanna pay 400 bucks for a cat back setup.........What should I use for a free flow cat?
Thanks for all the great info !
Davis

#10 ·
look at my sig to see my exhaust setup. i have gibson shorties, no cats, after the cats it's 3 inches all the way back into a magnaflow muffler.

#9 ·
wow you got ripped at 150 for a paperweight.. send it back anyway you can and contact dwight for a ported/polished throttle body... that will give you a nice inhale for your headers and exhaust to exhale...

hell send it back for false advertising.. as itsimpossible that the spacer adds HP!

#11 · (Edited)
I think mabe I will look into upgrading to a bigger TB, someone mentioned a 68 mm from an 01 fits and works? I can return the TBS for a refund acording to the epay listing so i will go that route.
Alipper,,, your setup is different from mine as I have a 2000 that has the cali emissions precats. So I have 3 cats not just the one after the Y. I have heard that the 2000 stock manifolds flow pretty good. So it looks like I am stuck with keepin the stock Y pipe and just cuttin off the cat after it and goin 3" .....The other choice is the magnaflow part # 93181 thats a better flowing Y with the precats and everything but not cheap at 658 bucks then add cost of headers and after cat exhast i could be looking at 1600 for exhaust...
Davis

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.