Dakota Durango Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, how long can one look at the blistering fading peeling typical clear coat flaws of the Chrysler, Dodge products?
I have a 2000 Dakota 3.9 manual.
I loved this truck since the day I bought at 48000 miles. I really like the color scheme as well, metallic patriot blue pearl with the silver tone bottom.
As I'm sure many whom don't keep there vehicle in the garage, the sun and weather take toll on the clear coat especially in Fl.
So I'm passing it down to my youngest son who said he wanted it since he was 9 yrs old LOL
Since this really isn't my daily driver. ( a/c contractor so I'm always in the service/company vehicles).
I held onto it for him.
Now 17 and driving I have given the blessing and turned it over.
Like any new driving teen, young man with there first vehicle the imagination has no limits.
He is a very mechanically inclined youngster so naturally I said It's yours to do what ever you please. ( I probably should have thought that through) LOL
So here we go.
As he puts it! Grandpa running boards need to go pic taken after we pulled them off( I pulled the running boards off an excursion and fabbed them to fit with the original running lights, diamond plate inserts ect.)
I want to de-badge it entirely. fix the misc. dings and dents. No more chrome or black I want the whole truck the same color he says.
We both really like the original paint but delete the two tone on the bottom.
Neither one of us have ever done any body work or painting before so this will be quite the learning experience for us both.
before.jpg

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
So here we go
bumper and grill blue.jpg
bumper and grill black.jpg
We decided that although we really like the original metallic postriot blue pearl..
That wasn't going to be enough, even though we're going to paint the whole thing one color it still wouldn't be unique enough.
So we're putting a twist on it and adding gun metal pearl to the clear coat.
We had no idea what to expect but are quiet pleased with the outcome.
It actually color shifts to 5 different colors depending on the light hitting it and where your standing looking at it.
We found the shift to go from blue, purple, green, silver, and finally black.
The most amazing thing I've ever seen

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Here's a pic of the hood emblem delete.
you can start to see the shift I spoke of
20210524_175934.jpg
20210524_175916.jpg
20210524_175836.jpg

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
If you noticed in the first pic I posted there is 2 nasty dings in the center of the tail gate where I hit it with the tip of my boat trailer tongue and appears someone shot it with a BB gun.
And of course it hit right on the middle rib and flattened it.
Again son and I are all new to this so body and paint aren't exactly our strong suites.
But we were able to correct this with a filling material that a friend turned us onto called U-POL 706.
Which is an interesting product that can be applied to a multitude of surfaces from plastic to metal.
The best part is unlike bondo or fiberglass fillers there is no need to sand down to the original sub straight your repairing.
It bonds extremely well and best of all it is flexible enough to expand and contract with the surface it is applied to.
We used this same filler to delete the badges including the hood badge.
NO we didn't leave the metal tape in the hood when we deleted it.
We had alot of rain in the forecast so we covered it as well as the door handles and mirror openings as they were removed and the truck wasn't under shelter at that time,

before.jpg
InkedIMG_27571_LI.jpg
IMG_38121.jpg
20210326_111642.jpg
IMG_38091.jpg

·
Registered
2003 Dakota Sport
98 Posts
That's coming along nicely. Looks like you guys are doing a great job for a first time at it. I look forward to seeing the outcome.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you for the kind words.
It has not come without its trials and tribulations
But we're having fun with it

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
A little update,
Between the heat and the rain here it's impossible to get anything done unless your up and out there by 6 A.M.
So were starting very slowly to get this back together and wrap this part of the project up
IMG_20210527_172846_601.jpg
soso
IMG_20210527_172806_726.jpg

1 - 8 of 8 Posts