Dakota Durango Forum banner
21 - 40 of 41 Posts

·
Texas Knock Out
443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
well i am glad you told me that. i was thinking this engine has been worked on before. it will be several months before its done but i will keep posting what i am doing and when it is finally built and in my truck and running i will get dyno info for yall.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I will waiting for this one to progress. I have a white v6 that needs a v8. What are you going to do about the trans. I was woundering if you will have proplems with the 4x4. Looks like your on the right trail. Keep it your doing great.

·
Texas Knock Out
443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
i am going to keep my original trans and rebuild it with high performance kits i have seen. if it dont work and my tranny blows then i will find a jeep trans and match it up.

·
408,R3,Indy Heads,Twin66s
2,744 Posts
What do you mean by Jeep trans? You just would need a 46RE in 4x4 form.

·
Texas Knock Out
443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
well now i know. i read someplace that someone was using a jeep trans.

·
Texas Knock Out
443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
isnt there a kit for the 42re. kit for more power being pushed in it.

·
2,744 Posts
You can build a 42RE to be super strong, but unless you are straight up drag racing, build a 46RE. I do agree with the above, put it in and see what happens, unless it's already bad.

·
2,744 Posts

·
Registered
2,301 Posts
in stock form 360s are over rated vs a 318.... if you need a motor "now" and get a good deal on one over the other fine;; but stock wise, the only way the 360 wins out is in keeping people that have oil stocks rich..... but in my exp they really aren't that much more powerful..... NOT saying they can't be made that way, but then they ain't stock no more either...... I have had many of both engines and for my $$ I have never had a 318 not get it dun..... nor any thing where a 318 wouldn't but "if I had a 360" it would have done the job any better.

·
Registered
175 Posts
the oil pan in the front of the pic is off of a 5.9 that was installed in a 2000 dodge dakota quad cab 4x4.
the rear one is off of a 5.9 that was in a 97 ram 4x4. notice the hole in it.

there is a huge difference in the two pans. i tried to use a oil pan from a ram on my 4.7 i installed in my 02 dakota 4x4 it would not clear the front diff i had to use my original pan.

·
2,744 Posts
My bad. I was thinking you had a 318 and was going to a 360. Yes, you need a Dakota pan. :sorry:

·
Registered
416 Posts
just remembered about this when i saw your sig, trying to save up for a motor myself to maybe do this

·
2000 Fake R/T & 2001 R/T
84 Posts
Automatic or standard?

21 - 40 of 41 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.