Dakota Durango Forum banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Texas Knock Out
443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just ordered the 5.9. got the engine and the PCM. Not sure what else I need. I believe the tranny will fit if not i will find one in a junk yard and rebuild it. What I am going to be doing when I get it is rebuild the engine. Tear it all the way down to the block then build it back up. Encouragement will help and also what will help is info on performance parts for it.

·
408,R3,Indy Heads,Twin66s
2,744 Posts
You will need a V8 wiring harness or run the two extra injector wires. Trans will bolt right up. You need a 360 flexplate or flywheel. I have one if you need it. Upgrade the cam if not the heads as well. Also could do a better intake (M1 for example). If you really want to do it and are going to rebuild it anyways, make it a 408.

·
Texas Knock Out
443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have everything in order. There is a place called u-pull-it and i will be taking the engine out in the morning. it comes from a 2000 durango. i will be taking the engine, wire harness, pcm and cluster gauge. i will be tearing the engine down to the block and cleaning it up and replacing what needs to be replaced. bought a engine stand and engine hoist. hopefully gonna get it on the engine stand by tomorrow night.

·
Texas Knock Out
443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
well the place i was getting the engine from decided to crush the durango. so i was pretty pissed but i looked on craigslist and found a guy parting out a ram. i am picking the engine up tomorrow.

·
2000 Fake R/T & 2001 R/T
84 Posts
Best of luck whichever way you go! My guess was you were sportin the 3.9??

·
"][" {[]} {[]} ][_ 
17,338 Posts
Dont fool with a ram harness. Just pull 2 injector plugs all the way to the pins that go to the computer and plug them in your original plug. and tuck them in your harness. This way you know it is compatible then just get the right year computer.

·
Texas Knock Out
443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Dont fool with a ram harness. Just pull 2 injector plugs all the way to the pins that go to the computer and plug them in your original plug. and tuck them in your harness. This way you know it is compatible then just get the right year computer.
how would i know which plugs to use. i am guessing number 7 and 8 injector? also what do you mean by getting the right year computer. are you talking about getting a computer that is the year of my truck that is from a 5.9 dakota or what?

·
"][" {[]} {[]} ][_ 
17,338 Posts
No get a quad cab 4x4 5.9 PCM. They made them. And yes you are adding 2 more cylinders so pull the injectors and wiring from the #1 and 2 cylinder as these will be the longest which is what you need then trace the wires back to the plugs note where they go. Then put them in your plugs on your new computer. Look in a haynes manual it will tell y ou where on the computer the injector wires are.

·
Banned
2,773 Posts
Hey bro, I got your text! Sorry I didn't reply.. been out in the field so haven't been near my phone much.

Too bad ya live so far away.. I love these kinds of projects!

·
Texas Knock Out
443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
i would love to have help on this. but right now i am only working on the engine and cleaning it up. i want this engine as new as possible. as of right now all the plugs were used but in great shape.

·
Texas Knock Out
443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

this is the truck I pulled the engine out of

after 5 hours of struggle and bleeding i finally got it out

this is it in my garage waiting for me to tear into her.

·
Texas Knock Out
443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
i been tearing into the engine all morning long and have not found anything wrong with it so far. no cracks or broken parts. as of right now i am having trouble taking the cylinder head bolts off since they were torqued down like crazy. one other thing i saw was there was some rust on the cam shaft. i havent gotten to it yet cause well i am taking a break.

·
Texas Knock Out
443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

the start of a tear down relationship

cylinder covers looking good

all the spark plugs looked like this. looks like it was burning well

rockers and pushrods. looked good no deformities on the heads of the pushrods

close up of what they look like

·
Texas Knock Out
443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

without the rockers and pushrods

did the 5.9 engines come with a holley? this really stumped when i saw this

intake manifold off

without the intake manifold

fan is off

·
Texas Knock Out
443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

without the fan on the motor

without the cylinder heads

right side top

left side bottom. some wear on there

oil pan

·
Texas Knock Out
443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·

everything off expect the crank and cam and pistons. didnt have the right size socket so i ended the day

·
408,R3,Indy Heads,Twin66s
2,744 Posts
Yes they came with Holley TB's. Looks like it is going well.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Looks like we ran into some issues. Please come back and try again later