Dakota Durango Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Crawled under the boys' truck in the evening. Am looking at adding a bit of rumble to it as a bit of a surprise while they are away a work for the next 3 - 4 days. I want to add v8 rumble but do not want it to rap or be loud and obnoxious. Those long 400 mile trips down the highway get really nasty with a loud exhaust. Just a nice low hummmerummble is what we are after.

What I found and saw was a bit puzzling, but maybe not. Looking for some comments and advice to make the best decision on what to do with this.

2005 Dakota. The engine is the 8 cylinder 4.7. The exhaust is a single pipe exhaust system, stock. Basically; comes off the manifolds into a y-pipe to a single outlet. From there it goes into a muffler/resonator that is about 12" long in size, then 2' of pipe, then into the main big muffler/silencer, then another 2'-3' of pipe, and into another muffler/resonator about 12" long in size behind the rear axle, and finally out the back tailpipe on the passenger side. What I am saying is it looks like there are three mufflers under this thing.

First idea was to take the big middle muffler out and just fit in a magna flow 18" or flow master 40. I have a magnaflow on the 5.7 hemi and really like that. The shop was suggesting a flow master 40 for the Dakota, I have no idea what that would sound like on it. Now I am wonder if I just take the big muffler out and straight pipe between the two smaller muffler/resonators.

The old truck is not getting a new exhaust system. No cat-back type stuff. Cheapest cost possible, minimal work possible, simply a fit-in somewhere in the middle where the central big muffler will come out of.

Magnaflow?
Flowmaster? (40?)
Straight pipe section?

Decisions, decisions, ... any helpful input?

·
Registered
394 Posts
The stock exhaust system is a resonator, then bigger muffler, and then another resonator.

A long while back, I replaced the stock muffler with a Magnaflow #12256 muffler, and removed one of the resonators (Not sure if it was the front or rear one). I was looking for a better sound, and when i pulled away from the shop, the exhaust was still pretty quiet. I went right back and had them remove the other resonator, then I had the sound that I wanted. I also put on a Magnaflow #35204 tip to make it look nice. There was some minor drone with the Magnaflow around 65-70 mph.

The stock exhaust eventually rusted out and I installed a Borla Cat Back system, which is a T304 SS system, and will last longer than the truck.

Flowmaster has a sound that I just don't like at all, but everyone has their preference. Check out some videos on Youtube with different mufflers on Dodge 4.7 engines, Dakotas, Durangos, or Rams.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What is the sound uniqueness of the flow master that people like or dislike and how will that show up if the 40 is put in centre of the line with the two resonators? Perhaps the 50 instead?

Thank you for the reply. If it has two resonators already (mufflers), then what about just straight piping the mid section? Would that be too loud then?
My preference is for magna flow, looking at the 11236 (14" offset-offset), or the 11266 (18" offset-offset), or the shorty 11366 (11" centre-offset)

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Just ordered up the 14" Magnaflow. 11236 2.5" Offset-Offset. I will remove the big centre main muffler and put the Magnaflow in it's place.
The stock muffler is 37" long OA. The 11236 will be 20" long OA. So half the length. I will mount it as far back as possible and put a new length of pipe in on the inlet side to make up the difference.

Any other thoughts or comments on this before I start cutting clamp bolts off?

·
Registered
394 Posts
Well, if you leave the resonators in place, I don't think you'll get anything near a V8 rumble. You can try it out obviously, but I think you'll end up removing at least one, or most likely both, of the resonators if you want to add some decent sound to the exhaust. I'm sure in the end, you'll find the sound that you prefer.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
The boys were both off work today. So put them go work on this. The Magnaflow ordered off of amazon is over a week away.
Not wanting to wait, they spent the morning removing the stock muffler from the middle and replacing it with pipe. It worked out well and the one got to do some practice welding pipe chunks together. 30$ in pipe, prebent 20 deg elbows, and clamps.

Results. Left front resonator in. Left rear resonator in. Straight pipe in between. Sounds great! Nice rumble. Sound level is bang on, not loud yet not quiet either. Actually, turned out to sound exactly what they were after.

Now the dilemma is what to do with the Magnaflow when it arrives. Obviously not going to use it on the Dakota now. Thought about putting it in the Ram which has 5.7 hemi. The Ram already has an 18” MF. The 14” would wake it up some more. However, the Ram piping is 3” (single exhaust) and the new MF on the way is 2.5”. Is that 1/2” enough of a difference to not put it on the Hemi?

·
Registered
8 Posts
The stock exhaust system is a resonator, then bigger muffler, and then another resonator.

A long while back, I replaced the stock muffler with a Magnaflow #12256 muffler, and removed one of the resonators (Not sure if it was the front or rear one). I was looking for a better sound, and when i pulled away from the shop, the exhaust was still pretty quiet. I went right back and had them remove the other resonator, then I had the sound that I wanted. I also put on a Magnaflow #35204 tip to make it look nice. There was some minor drone with the Magnaflow around 65-70 mph.

The stock exhaust eventually rusted out and I installed a Borla Cat Back system, which is a T304 SS system, and will last longer than the truck.

Flowmaster has a sound that I just don't like at all, but everyone has their preference. Check out some videos on Youtube with different mufflers on Dodge 4.7 engines, Dakotas, Durangos, or Rams.
What Borla system did you use? Their website doesn't list one for my 2005 4.7 Dak...

Thanks!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts