Dakota Durango Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
10 Second Club
4,009 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a couple of questions. I removed the charcoal canister that was bolted to the frame and the hoses that went to the fuel tank. Now I know I am getting vapor coming out of there and it smells like fuel after I run the truck in my garage. If I cap the hose, I cannot fuel up cause the auto shutoff goes off because of the vapors coming back up. So how do I go about curing this short of going with a fuel cell?

Can I drop the tank and remove the hoses all together and try something there? Any insight?

·
Registered
18,117 Posts
Is the canister in the way of something? (aka why not just put it back, then you'll be problem free?)

·
10 Second Club
4,009 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Is the canister in the way of something? (aka why not just put it back, then you'll be problem free?)
Its weight, haha. And I already had the hose taken off of the canister, still getting the gas smell regardless if it was on or off.

·
Banned
25,820 Posts
You can always adapt a breather to the line, but you will still get fumes from it. Mine is just cut. Otherwise you need to run it to the intake manifold to burn off like stock.

·
Registered
18,117 Posts
Haha. I figured that was the problem. Or something to do with space issues and the roll cage...which is why I asked.

·
10 Second Club
4,009 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
You can always adapt a breather to the line, but you will still get fumes from it. Mine is just cut. Otherwise you need to run it to the intake manifold to burn off like stock.
What do people with Fuel Cells do? They get the fume smell also?

·
10 Second Club
4,009 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Haha. I figured that was the problem. Or something to do with space issues and the roll cage...which is why I asked.
Did not even think of the roll bar if there would be any issues with that. Oh well. I will see what happens.

·
Banned
25,820 Posts
Not sure how they set it up, they may completely eliminate it. Fuel cells have a bigger opening. No need to vent like motorcycles.

·
10 Second Club
4,009 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Not sure how they set it up, they may completely eliminate it. Fuel cells have a bigger opening. No need to vent like motorcycles.
When we start talking about motorcycles? haha.

You saying the opening in the gas cap?

·
Banned
25,820 Posts
Yep, Motorcycles have the same style fuel doors. Unlike stock truck one it slips into, these you have to hold the nozel while fueling.

·
10 Second Club
4,009 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yep, Motorcycles have the same style fuel doors. Unlike stock truck one it slips into, these you have to hold the nozel while fueling.
Hmm, interesting.

·
Banned
25,820 Posts
Example:

Unless you plan on rigging the stock fuel connector, then you will have to make a vent line or use the one you got.
I couldn't find someone fueling a fuel cell, had to find a bike haha.

·
10 Second Club
4,009 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Example:

Unless you plan on rigging the stock fuel connector, then you will have to make a vent line or use the one you got.
I couldn't find someone fueling a fuel cell, had to find a bike haha.
I get the idea, I have a motorcycle. Can't get the link to work anyway. I will maybe get a fuel cell later on in life, but I like the way mine works now, with my stock fuel gauge being accurate.

·
Banned
740 Posts
as stated above your only real options are a breather on the line or dealing with it. if you rig the gas cap it needs to be removeable for testing so they don't hit you for your gas cap not working. my truck runs so rich right now that you pretty much just always smell fuel. so i got used to it........

·
Blown and Squirted
3,407 Posts
I only smell mine sometimes. Stop running it in your garage.

·
10 Second Club
4,009 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I only smell mine sometimes. Stop running it in your garage.
I kind of have to to park it and pull it out. I have the side exit exhaust to it does not really leave the garage either.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts