Dakota Durango Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'd really hate to do it. I love the truck, it's paid for, runs awesome, is in extremely good condition with miles it has now, but the fuel mileage is eating me up financially spending almost $100/week on fuel. I could go out and buy a cheap little beater car that gets 30mpg right now if I want and not have to sell it, but I think I'd rather just get a nice newer car. Doesn't help that my Ranger is not getting much better than the Dak at the moment, not sure why:huh: This car here has caught my interest http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-sale/vehicledetails.xhtml?zip=27909&endYear=2010&modelCode1=CIVIC&sortBy=mileageDESC&showcaseOwnerId=71283&startYear=2009&makeCode1=HONDA&sellerTypes=b&searchRadius=100&mmt=[HONDA[CIVIC[]][]]&listingId=330050093&listingIndex=3&Log=0

Maybe I'll jump on it depending on how much the monthly payments will be.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Do whatever you feel is right. But if you want to save $ on fuel how much are you gonna spend a month on a car payment to save how much on fuel?

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
A valid point, total cost for the payments and cost of fuel may be around equal to what I'm paying in fuel alone right now. Only after the car is paid for, I'll reap the rewards of having a vehicle that gets prolly twice the fuel mileage. I just don't see fuel being $2 something a gallon anymore in the future EVER, I drive a lot, and at this point with a not so good paying job, getting a newer fuel efficient car is a must right now. Hell I don't even use the Dakota as a "truck" anymore.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Good point, do what helps you the most and good luck with whatever you pursue. Personally like a truck but then again cars arent easy when youre 6' 6" and a big guy

·
Registered
3,251 Posts
I'm sort of in the same boat but not 100%. I'm starting to see issues pop up with my '00 dakota aside from the horrid MPG. Most issues are just wear and tear related.

I'm hoping in the next year or so to move on to a newer car. Looking at several mid to full size sedans, all depends on what's available at the time and monthly payments. I also have a small list of must haves and will nots. I refuse to buy another red vehicle!!

Anyway, do what you think is right. I've always been told that if your current vehicle isn't costing you what a normal car payment would be every month then it's not time to move to something new. In my case, a 13 year old truck that costs me about $175 a month mainly for gas. $80 every 2 weeks.

·
Mongo lift heavy things..
385 Posts
I've read if you spend $3k-$4k/year ($250-$333/mo) in repairs that it's time for a newer/better vehicle. Regular maintenance & gas excluded. Just my 2 cents.

·
Overlanding Exspurt
66 Posts
I have 3 cars: the Durango which I only use for weekends, an Audi A6 daily driver and a bulletproof 1994 Audi Wagon with 260K miles which is worth maybe $1000 (but looks new - I've owned it since graduation in 1996).

I struggle to justify keeping three cars and two times now just when I'm about set on selling the Wagon the A6 acts up in some way... it's like the young pup who doesn't want the old hound dog to go away.

Find some excuse to keep the Dak.

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
I was in the same boat, the price of gas to go back and forth to work, so I bought a cheap $500 grand am that needed 2 wheel bearings and that was it, so now I save racking up kilometers on the truck and now it won't be wrecked with all the dirt and shitty conditions at work

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
Definitely keep the truck, its really clean. I'd buy a cheap beater. That way the Dak can be your Sunday driver haha. Funny how the trucks built for work and off road get babied and cars are used for beaters instead lol.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts