Dakota Durango Forum banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i want to do a SAS but i dont know where to start i was thinking about using ram axles but idk if there wide enough. whats easier coil spring or leaf spring?

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
There is no simple one size fits all solution when doing an SAS. You are a step ahead of both me and 4LO since your 99 Durango still has a normal steering box. What I can tell you is have a plan going in and try to stick with it if at all possible. I had my axle and tires/rims sitting here forever before I drug out the gas ax and started cutting stuff off to put the new on. I also still had the donor vehicle to steal parts and measurements off since I was using all the stock components as my baseline.
The more you can do yourself also helps the bottom line. I did my own gear installs, plumbing brake lines, welding and brainstorming to get done what had to be done. I planned on a month without my truck while I worked on it but had it driveable in about 3 weeks. (Wife was happy to get her truck back.) Once I had it driveable I worried about gear swaps, front drive shaft and all the little annoying crap that pops up. Still not 100% done but I have 6 months of driving on it with no major problems to report.

·
Chevy SUCKS!!!!!!!
1,685 Posts
dodge axles and chevy axles will not work. Thumb throught the pages and pages of solid axle swaps in the off road section......I did
94+ Ram axles will work as they're driver's side drop, however they realistically have too many drawbacks to really consider them strong candidates. Just pointing that out, but realistically I agree Chevy and older Dodge axles won't work due to the passenger side drop, and the more recent Dodge axles simply aren't strong enough to be a truly good swap.

·
Frog Legs
1,599 Posts
i want to do a SAS but i dont know where to start i was thinking about using ram axles but idk if there wide enough. whats easier coil spring or leaf spring?
Read through and if you have questions post them here....I will be glad to try and answer them for you. Really taking the time to read is the best way to gain the knowledge.

As far as what is easier, leafs are easy to set up but because of the shape of the frame rails they can be a pain to install. Coils are a nice ride and simple late seventies Ford radious arm suspension will work good. I recommend upgrading to after market radious arm components though. Radious arms are a lot less noticeable to the vehicle inspecters to. It looks way more factory.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Read through and if you have questions post them here....I will be glad to try and answer them for you. Really taking the time to read is the best way to gain the knowledge.

As far as what is easier, leafs are easy to set up but because of the shape of the frame rails they can be a pain to install. Coils are a nice ride and simple late seventies Ford radious arm suspension will work good. I recommend upgrading to after market radious arm components though. Radious arms are a lot less noticeable to the vehicle inspecters to. It looks way more factory.
Ok thanks i will definantly be asking more questions

·
Registered
198 Posts
Hey im in the middle of my swap right now.. but im using axles from a 79 f250 dana 44 front and dana 60 rear. also using the stearing box from that as well. im doing leaf springs for now because they are easier and cheaper. But for flex a 3 or 4 link is better.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hey im in the middle of my swap right now.. but im using axles from a 79 f250 dana 44 front and dana 60 rear. also using the stearing box from that as well. im doing leaf springs for now because they are easier and cheaper. But for flex a 3 or 4 link is better.
is it alot of $$$

·
Registered
198 Posts
well i got a reallly good deal on by stuff. i got both axles the stearing box all the hardwear upper shock mounts tires and rims for $400 then sold the tires alone for 450 (kept the rims) so i started the build +50 but including that im in about $400 right now should have about another 100 or so in the front then i need to do the rear still

·
Frog Legs
1,599 Posts
Im into mine for $6000

axles $900 ea
locker $500
tires $1200
Steering, shock hoop and shock installand misc welding at a shop $2700
driveshafts $500
other misc shit $300

most of my cost was incurred at the shop. It was just safer for them to do all my final welds and steering system...you cannot put a price on safety

·
Chevy SUCKS!!!!!!!
1,685 Posts
I don't like to talk about how much I was into mine but iirc the total was at $5500 when I sold the truck, now I've got a grand total of $1378 into my Cherokee counting the Jeep itself, the initial repairs to get it on the road, a few odds and ends, a set of 285/75-16 BFG KM1s, and the desert tan paint job. Here's my old 99 now that its pretty well finished.

·
Registered
198 Posts
I suppose im getting away so cheap, because I got alot when i got by axles it came with the front drive shaft and stuff too. Im also making all of my own brackets and everything. It will be alot more i supposed after i buy gears and lockers. but to just get it rolling with the stock gears the front should be about 600 or so

·
Chevy SUCKS!!!!!!!
1,685 Posts
I paid $150 for my axles with a set of 15x10 "General Lee" mag wheels and some 39.5" Mickey Thompson Baja Belteds bolted to them with a set of undamaged Ford radius arms, a pair of 6" Rancho lift coils for the 78 Bronco they came out of as well as all the Ford steering and track bar. I spent the vast majority of my funds inside the axles, both in parts and labor to have the gears setup, then after realizing those Ford coils were WAAAAAAAAAAAAYYYYYYYYYYY too stiff to even dream of achieving the kind of flex I was looking for so I had to get new ones, then this wasn't quite good enough, then that lol.

·
Registered
198 Posts
yea i have not touched the inside yet. just want it under and running for now then ill pull it once i find gears and lockers cheap. slowly and surely

1 - 20 of 52 Posts