Dakota Durango Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Doesnt Afraid of Anything
6,051 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
after a crash... dads taking the durango to the companies outlet thing tomorrow to see how bad the damage is and what the options are.. anything in particular to ask them???

B

·
0 Posts
When do I get my check? :D

Can I pick my own body shop?

Do I get to keep my truck?

·
Doesnt Afraid of Anything
6,051 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
When do I get my check? :D

Can I pick my own body shop?

Do I get to keep my truck?
well thank you sir, but besides then obvious... lol.. thanks man

·
Registered
2,371 Posts
I don't think that there is a lot to ask really - if you are taking the truck to have the insurance company look at it, they will assess the damage, and determine how much they are going to give you for repairs....what you do with the check is up to you.

·
don't feed the bears
10,668 Posts
yeha its a pretty hands off process.. you can ask how the fuck they came up with such a low value when thye offer you dirt for your car, but besides that prepare to get bent.. and hope for the best :beer:

·
Resident Craigslist Whore
3,230 Posts
....what you do with the check is up to you.
thats only if there is no lien on the truck. atleast thats the way it is in NY. if there is a lien holder, the check has their name on it since they technically own the truck, and they want their investment to be worth what it should be. i owned my 98 kota outright when i had a kid hit the bed behind the drivers side rear wheel. the adjuster came right to my house, estimated it, and i had a check for $1800 in a week (i paid $3000 for the truck a year earlier). i cashed that mother, went to the junkyard, and found a rust free southern box already the right color for $600. $1200 profit??!!! shit, someone could hit me every week for that!

·
Home School Valedictorian
4,227 Posts
In Iowa if there is a lien the insurance co will directly pay the body shop. You also have the right to take it where ever you like, although the insurance co may not pay the full amount if it is higher than their estimate.

·
Blown and Squirted
3,407 Posts
Tell them they can look at it after the body shop does their assesment.

They are going to low ball the shit out of you.

·
Registered
651 Posts
typically

They will give an estimate based upon what they can see by looking around and crawling underneath the vehicle. Do not be surprised if this isn't a car guy or a mechanic and he doesn't delve in deep and look for every single piece of damage below the surface that isn't blatantly obvious. Alot of times they will just write down obvious damage and starts with an estimate for that. Just ask what the process is if any further problem is found at the body shop.

The few times I've had serious damage, the body shop put in for what is typically referred to as a supplemental estimate. They will get the original estimate and start pulling the car apart and then contact the adjuster for more cash to repair newly discovered damage. Last estimate I went to Geico for when I got rear ended at speed, some girl crawled underneath and walked around and listed everything she could see and tell was obviously broken. It was easy stuff: Replace and repaint bumper, straighten frame. Then she just told me the bodyshop would sort it out and get the extra money for anything else she hadn't found. That's exactly how it ended up working, they showed her how the exhaust got damaged, pushed into the shocks, etc..., how the bumper would need a flex additive in the paint not listed in the original estimate, and Geico simply cut another check. So if they don't get everything you think is wrong they may not be short-changing you, just make sure there is a means to adjust the estimate once the bodyshop takes the car apart and finds everything.

·
Registered
3,844 Posts
Most of the insurance adjusters give you a starting point. if you take it in to a shop and the damage is more they will pay the extra damage. That is why you want to go in WITH three quotes from different body shops.
If your car is totaled ITS still your car you dont have to "buy" it back. They are paying on the damage done to the vehicle they are not "buying" anything from you.
its still your vehicle

1 - 12 of 12 Posts