Dakota Durango Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok this is the deal i'm coming out of work today and i hit the disarm button for my alarm and it churps. but then i jump in and turn the key and the freakin truck wont turn over, so i trun it my key to the off position and my alarm goes off. so then i try to turn it back on and again same results. So i figured i must have left my amp on, and i needed a jump. So i jump my truck and it turns over and i let it run for a about a hour and a half with all my assesories turned off. so i get ready to go on home and im thinkin maybe i should try and see if my battery is charged so i turn it off and turn it back on again and wha do u know the damn thing wouldnt start. i was running my 3200 visonik watt amp off my STOCK alternator :smash: :hammer: :spank: :slice: (that was my fault) thinkin that that damn thing wouldve lasted my at least a month and it only lasted about 3 weeks i didnt think it would go that bad. but when you half-ass it i guess thats what i get now i gotta drive a hour and a half tues. to get another alternator and i'm hoping this one holds. I guess i'm glad it happened at work where its easy to get a jump instead of begin at a club or somethin in the middle of Detroit and my Sh!t wont start

·
Registered
598 Posts
98 Black SLT said:
You need to get a power capacitor. This takes the strain off of your alternator. You need at least 2 farads worth.
a cap puts more of a strain on your alt, but if you want one Beeharp I got a 5F Alumapro C.A.P.

·
Registered
237 Posts
JohnnyKo12 said:
a cap puts more of a strain on your alt, but if you want one Beeharp I got a 5F Alumapro C.A.P.
I have heard that, but i will tell you what, i blew 2 new alternators in my old car, then added a 6 farad capacitor and it never happened again. From my understanding, if you go big on your cap, you should not have a problem.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
98 Black SLT said:
I have heard that, but i will tell you what, i blew 2 new alternators in my old car, then added a 6 farad capacitor and it never happened again. From my understanding, if you go big on your cap, you should not have a problem.

what about going with a two battery setup. i was thinking that it would put strain on the alt too. because if one of the two batteries gets low then it not only has to charge one battery now it has to charge 2. but i was thinking about going with a cap only if it where big enough because i put in a 160 amp alt. and when i look at the volt meter inside my truck now it really gets low when i'm at idle. but when i hit the gas or get up to speed it gets around the 14 volt range. i was thinking and hoping that this alt. would be enough but by the looks of it, it wont. but how big of a cap should i go?

·
Registered
598 Posts
is it getting 14 volts w/ the stereo cranked while you're driving, if it is you should have enough juice w/ the alt you have now. Thats the problem w/ some h.o. alts, they are big, but they might have real bad idle power. I'd check what it does at idle w/ whomever got you the alt.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.